Renewable Energy Night in Houston

  • Mike Ewert
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 10, 2002
      The SEED coalition (Sustainable Energy and Economic Development) and experts
      from the Union of Concerned Scientists will present:
      Renewable Energy Night
      Tuesday August 20, 2002
      7:30pm
      Community of the Servant-Savior
      11303 Hughes Rd.
      Houston, TX

      The presentation will focus on the economic benefits of clean energy for
      Texas. Similar events will be held in Dallas, Longview and Lubbock.

      For more information about the sponsoring organization, see
      www.seedcoalition.org and www.cooltexas.net

      It would be great to have a large HREG turn out at this event to learn and
      to meet others working toward a brighter energy future!
    • Robert Bruce Warburton
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 10, 2002
        You might try E-mailing this notice to a Dr. Thomas Matney at the School of
        Public Health in Houston. He is a professor in the environmental science module.
        His E-mail is tmackey@.... Maybe the school might be interested in
        posting the meeting in the school's student mailboxes. The place to contact
        would be Student Affairs on the second floor of the Stallones building. I do
        have a number for the Coordinator of Enrollment Services Office of Student &
        Alumni Affairs, her name is Sema H. Spigner and the phone number is (713)
        500-9031. I also have her E-mail at sspigner@.... That is if she is
        still there.

        Mike Ewert wrote:

        > The SEED coalition (Sustainable Energy and Economic Development) and experts
        > from the Union of Concerned Scientists will present:
        > Renewable Energy Night
        > Tuesday August 20, 2002
        > 7:30pm
        > Community of the Servant-Savior
        > 11303 Hughes Rd.
        > Houston, TX
        >
        > The presentation will focus on the economic benefits of clean energy for
        > Texas. Similar events will be held in Dallas, Longview and Lubbock.
        >
        > For more information about the sponsoring organization, see
        > www.seedcoalition.org and www.cooltexas.net
        >
        > It would be great to have a large HREG turn out at this event to learn and
        > to meet others working toward a brighter energy future!

      • Steven Shepard
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 12, 2002
          Would someone be so kind as to ask UCCS if they would consider doing a
          presentation in San Antonio? I would be willing to host it.

          BTW, I finally got permission from my landlord to install a power system in
          my
          office. So far we have a Trace 5548 (used) and sixteen T105 Trojan
          batteries installed. We are waiting on a mount for our modules. Right now
          our inverter is operating in LBX mode which allows us to run from batteries
          until they are depeleted down to 44VDC then the inverter automatically
          switches back to the grid. It is great not be operating on utility power!

          Happy Day!

          SBT Designs
          25840 IH-10 West #1
          Boerne, Texas 78006
          210-698-7109
          FAX: 210-698-7147
          www.sbtdesigns.com

          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 19, 2002
            I am planning to go to this meeting Tuesday. I found out that the speakers
            will be
            Peter Altman - SEED
            Debra Duncan - Union of Concerned Scientists

            Also, here is additional information from Nan Hildreth:
            Although it doesn't make it very clear, the purpose of Tuesday event is to
            explain the wind power legislation. It would expand Texas law requiring a
            renewable component in electricity to the nation. Texas stands to profit
            from it as a wind power exporter. DeLay is on a key subcommittee about
            this regulation.

            Renewable energy is reducing pollution and creating jobs all over Texas.
            Thanks to the 1999 Texas Legislature, utility companies in Texas are
            required to get some of their power from clean, renewable sources like wind
            and solar energy.

            Right now Congress is in recess, but when they get back to Washington next
            month, they will consider legislation to boost renewable energy use all over
            the U.S. with the same kinds of policies that have worked here in Texas.
            Boosting renewable energy use in other states spells economic benefit for
            Texas, because our state is a leader in renewable energy resources.
            What kinds of renewable energy are there in Texas?
            Exactly what kind of jobs do renewables create?
            How can Texans start powering their homes, churches and offices with clean,
            renewable energy?
            Find out the answers to these and all your other renewable energy questions
            at

            RENEWABLE REVOLUTION NIGHT

            East Texas/Longview - Thursday, August 22
            7:00 PM North East Texas Group of the Sierra Club
            Northwood Baptist Church 3900 Tyron Road (1.2 miles North of Loop 281)

            Houston - Tuesday, August 20, 2002
            7:30 PM Community of the Servant-Savior, 11303 Hughes Rd.

            Dallas/Ft. Worth - Wednesday, August 21, 2002 _
            7:00 PM La Calle Dolce,1925 Skillman (at Skillman and Live Oak)

            Lubbock/Amarillo - Thursday, August 22, 2002
            7:00 PM Covenant Presbyterian Church 4600 48th St. Lubbock

            For more information, contact Texas Impact at 512.472.3903, or email us at
            action@...

            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 20, 2002
              Thanks, Mike, please let us know how it goes. Regards, kevin

            • chasmauch@aol.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 20, 2002
                I plan to make it to this meeting too. See you there, Mike, and hopefully other HREGers.
                Charlie
              • mark r. johnson
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 21, 2002
                  --- In hreg@y..., "Mike Ewert" <mewert@h...> wrote:
                  > I am planning to go to this meeting Tuesday. I found out that the
                  speakers
                  > will be
                  > Peter Altman - SEED
                  > Debra Duncan - Union of Concerned Scientists
                  >
                  > Also, here is additional information from Nan Hildreth:
                  > Although it doesn't make it very clear, the purpose of Tuesday event
                  is to
                  > explain the wind power legislation. It would expand Texas law
                  requiring a
                  > renewable component in electricity to the nation. Texas stands to
                  profit
                  > from it as a wind power exporter...

                  Let me point out a problem here, I am only trying to clarify although
                  the news is not encouraging. Texas lacks the physical capability to
                  export significant amounts of power -- not through lack of generating
                  capacity but through lack of inter-connection with other states. There
                  are only a handful of connections that could every export to other
                  states.

                  This is by design, for better or worse (I don't know which) the system
                  which administers the long distance wires in Texas (ERCOT, or Electric
                  Reliability Council of Texas) *wants* Texas to be an island compared
                  to other states. This dates back to thinking after the New York
                  blackout in the 1960's, as I see it ERCOT feels it can be more
                  reliable when nothing outside the state is of material effect.

                  So before any significant power exports can benefit Texas, we have to
                  have a revolutionary change in the thinking and operations of ERCOT.

                  Glum news but hope it helps -- Mark J.
                • Christine Jerko
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 21, 2002
                    Kevin,
                    Could you, please, give me the name of the legislation that Congress will be
                    looking at to consider boosting renewable energy use? I'm writing a
                    proposal to my company to investigate renewable energy production. I'm
                    looking for more evidence that Federal law will be more supportive.
                    Thanks,
                    Christine

                  • Christine Jerko
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 21, 2002
                      Mike,
                      I really wanted to attend this meeting last night to find out more about
                      newable energy legislation, particulary in Texas. Was there any
                      documentation?
                      Thanks,
                      Christine Jerko

                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 21, 2002
                        Hi Christine, I wish I could, but policy is not my forte. Russel Smith in
                        Austin is the most knowledgeable person I know that might be able to help.
                        Hope this helps, good luck with your iniative! best Regards, Kevin

                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 21, 2002
                          The meeting last night was good and several HREG members were there. Some
                          information was shared, but most of us already knew the many benefits of
                          renewable energy. Mainly it was a political action meeting to talk about
                          and initiate the best ways to lobby for the national renewable energy
                          standard, which is basically a quota for 10% from renewables by 2020. The
                          Senate passed this in April in their energy bill (HR4), but the House has no
                          such thing. So they will hash it out in September. Tom Delay and others
                          from Texas are on the conference committee.

                          Texas has a successful Renewables standard already that has led to the major
                          wind development in west Texas. So, a national standard would be good for
                          the nation and Texas in particular. Mark brought up the problem of limited
                          transmission lines from west Texas to other states (and back to our cities).
                          That was mentioned at the meeting. New transmission lines seem to be the
                          only solution there, so the 2 things must go together.

                          After I have looked at the material they gave us, I may be able to add more.
                          Or maybe someone else who was there can summarize. In the mean time look at
                          the Union of Concerned Scientist's web site for yourself and let Congress
                          know that we support renewable energy!
                          www.ucsusa.org

                          Houston - Tuesday, August 20, 2002

                          Lubbock/Amarillo - Thursday, August 22, 2002