RE: [hreg] suggestions for quantifiable elements of renewables

  • Randy Lack, ECB
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 10, 2002
      Christine,

      Sorry to jump into the conversation, but there a lot of ways your companies
      can invest in the environment with sound return on investments in the
      environmental space. I have a presentation that discusses the fact that
      companies with green programs outperform those without a sound green program
      in the stock market. It is a real idea, and is now a basis for a lot of
      decisions made by some mutual fund companies.

      Regards,

      Randy

      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 10, 2002

        Subj:[hreg] suggestions for quantifiable elements of renewables
        Date:7/10/02 9:39:42 AM Central Daylight Time
        From:cjerko@...
        Reply-to:hreg@yahoogroups.com
        To:hreg@yahoogroups.com
        Sent from the Internet

        Ok, this may require a thinking cap.

        As i mentioned before, i will try to get my company to invest in renewables
        once my homework is complete.  Currently, any way i slice it, i cannot come
        close to a 9% return on the investment.  There is no way Tractebel nor Suez
        would invest out of the goodness of their hearts...share holders - you know.

        So, have you ever heard of a companies stock value increasing (maybe
        Ex-RON's)from going green or making green announcemetns?  Can you think of
        any other extrinsic values from investing in renewables that are
        quantifiable?

        Any help would be much appreciated,
        Christine

        Christine,

        One of the major problems here is that the fossil fuels industry (as an example) has done such a good job of hiding their true costs and passing them on to others and the general public as externalities that it is hard to explain to the public what the true costs are and therefore to calculate true economics, since the system does not give much value for intangibles such as long-term social benefits.

        Our entire economy is based on the wasteful consumption of cheap energy, so for openers, you might try explaining the real cost of gasoline at the pump. It is not $1.50 or so - it is more like $5 to $15 per gallon, depending on how far you want to follow the money. There have been attempts to quantify these costs, and you will find one very good example entitled The Real Price of Gas by the International Center for Technology Assessment at the following website:

        http://www.icta.org/projects/trans/rlprexsm.htm

        Of course under our present system of corporate capitalism that is focused on short-term profit (next quarter earnings) it is hard to justify spending present dollars for future gain, especially "intangibles" such as social benefits. Such things as preventive maintenance suffer from the same handicap (present costs for future benefits) but at some point in the near future we are going to have to recognize the basic fact that such a system is not sustainable and try to change the way the system works. That is a real problem. Good luck, and please let me know if you find a way to do it.

        Charlie Mauch
      • EXT-Mendell, Christopher N
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 10, 2002
          Check out the Green Century Fund. They make a profit from "green" and
          renewable energy companies.

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 10, 2002
            As an extreme example, Buckminster Fuller, in the book Critical Path, calculates the cost to create the BTUs in oil by adding up all of the pressure over time required by nature to "cook" it up so to speak, then assigns a retail equivalent value of 10 cents per kWh resulting in a whopping $1 million per barrel of oil.  Clearly there's an externality limit of common sense that starts before 300 million years ago.

            For more on externalities see the work of economist Herman E. Daly.  Marx worked in the 19th century on economic ideas which affected the 20th century in the negative, hopefully Daly's work will have as much influence on the 21st century but to the positive.

             - JP
            Subj:[hreg] suggestions for quantifiable elements of renewables
            Date:7/10/02 9:39:42 AM Central Daylight Time
            From:cjerko@...
            Reply-to:hreg@yahoogroups.com
            To:hreg@yahoogroups.com
            Sent from the Internet

[...]

          • Kevin L. Conlin
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 10, 2002
              In the context of the question asked, what was your point?

              Date:7/10/02 9:39:42 AM Central Daylight Time
              From:cjerko@...
              Reply-to:hreg@yahoogroups.com
              To:hreg@yahoogroups.com