Re: [hreg] New file uploaded to hreg

  • Kim & Garth Travis
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 4, 2002
      If you know a way of stopping this, I would love to know. Perhaps I
      should make it that I have to approve membership, as only members can
      post or upload files. Comments? Suggestions?
      List Owner

      C. Terry Ross wrote:

      > Spam is always annoying -- especially when coming from a group that I do
      > not want to automatically send to the junk list!!

    • Ryan McMullan
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 4, 2002
        One option to handle attachments is to go to Group Options:
        Posting: and set attachments to be discarded. If anyone on the list wants
        to send an attachment, they can send it to individual's addresses, rather
        than the whole list. We probably wouldn't loose much to make the
        Membership "Restricted" (requiring approval), so long as we don't make it
        "Closed" (joining only by invitation). It really isn't that much effort to
        approve new membership requests and people can seek membership the same
        way, approval just isn't automatic. Of course, looking at the header, I
        can't tell if Yahoo sent that e-mail or if there's just a really clever
        spammer.

        My two cents,
        Ryan

        At 07:40 AM 6/4/02 -0500, you wrote:
        >If you know a way of stopping this, I would love to know. Perhaps I
        >should make it that I have to approve membership, as only members can
        >post or upload files. Comments? Suggestions?
        >List Owner
        >
        >C. Terry Ross wrote:
        >
        > > Spam is always annoying -- especially when coming from a group that I do
        > > not want to automatically send to the junk list!!

      • Robert Johnston
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 5, 2002
          I recently read a news bite that said Yahoo has changed its privacy
          policy, and is now selling more of its user information to 3rd parties.
          Don't know if this is related, but maybe we can expect more of this kind
          of thing in the future. Just proves again the old adage, "There's no
          such thing as a free lunch."

          Robert Johnston

          Service