[hreg] Re: HREG Chapter News

  • James Ferrill
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 15, 2000
      Jonathan,

      Would you like me to post this to relevant usenet newsgroups? I think
      more than a few people would be interested.

      James Ferrill

      jclem41-@... wrote:
      original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/hreg/?start=138

      > Kathryn: Please see attached (and below) re: HREG Chapter News
      >
      > HREG: Please respond if there are omissions or errors in the news
      article

      > Thanks.
      >
      > Jonathan
      >
      > Chapter News - HREG (1st Quarter 2000)
      >
      > The Houston Renewable Energy Group hosts regular scheduled meetings
      on the
      > last Sunday of odd-numbered months at Texas Southern University -
      Engineering
      > Building, at 2 pm. The acting president, Mike Ewert, is available at
      > mike.ewert@.... Officers will be elected after Earth Day. A
      membership
      > drive is in progress, with business cards and bookmarks already
      available. A
      > chapter brochure will be available by Earth Day. For membership
      information,
      > contact the chapter representative Jonathan Clemens at
      jclem412@....

      > Communication amongst HREG members is facilitated by the use of
      e-mail.
      > Registered members can freely communicate by sending and receiving
      e-mails to
      > and from hreg@egroups.com. Messages are archived and distributed to
      all
      > members at the same time. Thanks to Kim Travis for arranging and
      moderating
      > e-groups. The chapter's web page is now on-line, as a link in the
      TxSES web
      > site at www.txses.org.
      >
      > HREG is in the process of joining the Citizens Environmental
      Coalition (CEC)
      > in Houston. Charles Mauch is submitting the application and will be
      the
      > point of contact. The CEC's two-story facility, a bee-hive of
      organized
      > environmental activity, is located at 3115 Richmond Avenue. Smart
      Growth is
      > welcomed growth in the Houston area. A smart growth coalition, led
      by the
      > CEC and the Gulf Coast Institute, holds promise for educating the
      public on
      > energy efficient buildings and developing a philosophy conducive to
      > incorporating renewable energy into our daily lives. Kudos to David
      Crossley
      > and others in promoting the principles of Smart Growth. Principles
      of smart
      > gowth (and living) include sustainability, respect for the
      environment, and
      > avoidance of sprawl.
      >
      > HREG will be participating in Earth Day activities this year at
      Buffalo Bayou
      > Park, Saturday April 20. The group will have a display, with
      demonstrations,
      > solar energy products, and educational materials. Mike Ewert's son
      and
      > fellow classmates in Seabrook, Texas are busy building a
      solar-powered
      > go-cart, with plans to demonstrate at Earth Day 2000. Member Steve
      Stelzer
      > was happy to help his son's elementary school install a solar-powered
      fan,
      > with some help from member Oral Lafleur.
      >
      > In February Jonathan Clemens attended a Clear Lake Area Chamber of
      Commerce
      > luncheon featuring air quality planner Lily Wells of the
      Houston-Galveston
      > Area Council. With over 100 business leaders and managers in
      attendance,
      > Lily presented on overview of the State Implementation Plan (SIP) for
      the
      > Houston region. The SIP provides plans and control measures to
      reduce
      > emissions and thus improve air quality to at least meet the EPA's
      standard
      > for ground level ozone. Renewable energy has the potential to help
      the air
      > quality problem, if only for eliminating needless emissions from
      > fossil-fueled electricity plants. The bulk of the planned emissions
      > reductions apply to point sources, such as petrochemical and electric
      power
      > plants.
      >
      > FUTURE PLANS - HREG plans to make presentations to local schools and
      > organizations to educate the public about renewable energy. The
      Houston
      > chapter of TxSES will be supporting the Renewable Energy Roundup this
      Fall in

    • Solarcraft@csi
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 15, 2000
        James,

        If you don't mind, that would be a good idea.