Re: [hreg] what's so special about the Prius?

  • Charles L. Seaman
    Message 1 of 8 , May 1, 2002
      We might run OUT of gas

      ----------

    • tigger@io.com
      Message 2 of 8 , May 2, 2002
        On Wed, 1 May 2002, Feliciano Olivero wrote:

        > Dear HREG member,
        > I'm not an expert on this, but I would like to give you some of the
        > advantages,
        > -I this hybrid system the engine's function is to feed the electric
        > generator which is in charge of turning the electric motor. The electric
        > motor is what moves the car at non-highway speeds (0 to 50 mph). At
        > highway speeds, both the electric motor and the gas engine (in a small %)
        > move the car, this is the reason why the gas mileage is less in the
        > highway than in the city.
        > - Since the gas engine works at almost constant RPM it means that it can
        > work all the time at the highest efficiency point, then produces less
        > emissions than an engine working alternatively at low and high rpm.

        So, does a conventional engine that gets 50+ miles to the gallon produce
        more pollutants than a hybrid engine that gets 50+ miles to the gallon?

        In other words, how much difference does how the fuel gets burned make?

        > - The Prius accommodates 4 or 5 adults, it could be used by a family of
        > 5. They now can make SUVs and full size sedans with the same technology
        > (once the field test with the Prius is finished) and give us the
        > opportunity to enjoy a non-polluting, and gas $saving, big family car.
        > - Have you driven one? is a totally different car experience.
        > - The Honda hybrid (2 seater) gives 70-75 miles per gallon.
        > - This are just the 2 first two cars, wait until they improve the
        > technology.

        Point taken...although if manufacturers raised the average fuel mileage of
        the majority of vehicles being sold, it would make much more impact on
        pollution and mileage than building super high-efficiency vehicles that
        would end up being only a small percentage of the cars on the road.
      • Feliciano Olivero
        Message 3 of 8 , May 4, 2002

          On Thu, 2 May 2002 06:19:56 -0500 (CDT) tigger@... writes:
          > On Wed, 1 May
          2002, Feliciano Olivero wrote:

          > > Dear HREG member,
          > > I'm not an expert on this, but I would like to give you some of

          the
          > > advantages,
          > > -I this hybrid system the engine's
          function is to feed the
          > electric
          > > generator which is in
          charge of turning the electric motor. The
          > electric
          > > motor
          is what moves the car at non-highway speeds (0 to 50 mph).
          > At
          > > highway speeds, both the electric motor and the gas engine (in a

          small %)
          > > move the car, this is the reason why the gas mileage is
          less in
          > the
          > > highway than in the city.
          > > - Since
          the gas engine works at almost constant RPM it means that
          > it
          can
          > > work all the time at the highest efficiency point, then
          produces
          > less
          > > emissions than an engine working
          alternatively at low and high
          > rpm.
          >
          > So, does a
          conventional engine that gets 50+ miles to the gallon
          > produce

          more pollutants than a hybrid engine that gets 50+ miles to the

          gallon?

          > In other words, how much difference does how the fuel
          gets burned
          > make?
           need to understand that in the Prius there is accumulation of energy in the batteries,
          and when the cars needs it is released. The energy stored in the batteries were
          generated by the engine-generator, or by the generator during the braking process
          (some of the energy is recuperated during braking).In a normal car the energy lost
          during the braking process is forever lost, gas wasted.
          There are many differences/advantages, for reference check:
          And, Honda just introduced their new Civic Hybrid!, more info at

          > > - The Prius accommodates 4 or 5
          adults, it could be used by a
          > family of
          > > 5. They now can
          make SUVs and full size sedans with the same
          > technology

          (once the field test with the Prius is finished) and give us the

          opportunity to enjoy a non-polluting, and gas $saving, big family

          car.
          > > - Have you driven one? is a totally different car
          experience.
          > > - The Honda hybrid (2 seater) gives 70-75 miles per
          gallon.
          > > - This are just the 2 first two cars, wait until they
          improve the
          > > technology.
          >
          > Point taken...although if
          manufacturers raised the average fuel
          > mileage of
          > the majority
          of vehicles being sold, it would make much more impact
          > on

          pollution and mileage than building super high-efficiency vehicles
          > that
          > would end up being only a small percentage of the cars on the
          road.

          I agree totally with you on this, as long as the cars are safe, confortable,
          and reliable.

          Regards,

          > ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups
          Sponsor
          > ---------------------~-->
          > Buy Stock for $4

          and no minimums.
          > FREE Money 2002.

          href="http://us.click.yahoo.com/orkH0C/n97DAA/Ey.GAA/xbTolB/TM">http://us.click.yahoo.com/orkH0C/n97DAA/Ey.GAA/xbTolB/TM

        • Ryan McMullan
          Message 4 of 8 , May 6, 2002
            I recently got a Prius and have been very happy with it with
            regards to performance and handling, as well as fuel economy and reduced
            environmental impact.

            At 07:19 AM 5/2/02 -0500, you wrote:
            >So, does a conventional engine that gets 50+ miles to the gallon produce
            >more pollutants than a hybrid engine that gets 50+ miles to the gallon?
            >
            >In other words, how much difference does how the fuel gets burned make?

            One advantage to the design of the Prius is that it has an electric motor
            with two sources of electricity (the battery and the gas engine). This
            makes it well posed to take advantage of future advances (such as fuel
            cells) to play the role of the gas engine as a generator. It's just smart
            in terms of long-term planning for the technology.

            > > - The Prius accommodates 4 or 5 adults, it could be used by a family of
            > > 5. They now can make SUVs and full size sedans with the same technology
            > > (once the field test with the Prius is finished) and give us the
            > > opportunity to enjoy a non-polluting, and gas $saving, big family car.
            > > - Have you driven one? is a totally different car experience.
            > > - The Honda hybrid (2 seater) gives 70-75 miles per gallon.
            > > - This are just the 2 first two cars, wait until they improve the
            > > technology.
            >
            >Point taken...although if manufacturers raised the average fuel mileage of
            >the majority of vehicles being sold, it would make much more impact on
            >pollution and mileage than building super high-efficiency vehicles that
            >would end up being only a small percentage of the cars on the road.

            The Prius is heavier than a Corolla and so does not have the same fears of
            "lightweighting" and safety that some folks claim when talking about fuel
            economy. It's an excellent example of a car that is safe, effective,
            easy-to-use, and fun to drive. It also has many features that could be
            applied to any car, such as cabin insulation and glass that reflects both
            infrared and ultraviolet light. Both of these features reduce the heat
            load and allow them to use a smaller, more efficient air conditioning
            system. I had high expectations for the vehicle and have been pleasantly
            surprised on just about everything.

            Ryan
          • Ryan McMullan
            Message 5 of 8 , May 9, 2002
              Hello all,

              I was just wondering how the KRBE Earth Day event worked out. Did a good
              number of people come by? Have they announced the winners of the booth
              contest? How much money did they share with HREG? Sorry I couldn't be there.

              Ryan
            • Mike Ewert
              Message 6 of 8 , May 12, 2002
                It was good. I hope to have some of Oral's pictures up on our website soon.
                I don't know about the winners or who got any money. Charlie, can you check
                with KRBE before they forget?