Re: [hreg] what's so special about the Prius?

  • Charles L. Seaman
    Message 1 of 8 , May 1, 2002
      We might run OUT of gas

      ----------
      >From: tigger@...
      >To: Houston RE Group <hreg@yahoogroups.com>
      >Subject: [hreg] what's so special about the Prius?
      >Date: Wed, May 1, 2002, 4:38 PM
      >

      > I was just looking at the EPA numbers for the Toyota Prius, and I'm
      > wondering if I'm missing something.
      > According to Toyota's website, the car gets 52 city, 45 highway. I
      > understand that the numbers look backwards, but that the regenerative
      > braking accounts for the reversal.
      >
      > What I don't understand is why go through the hassle and expense of having
      > such a complex system (hybrid gas/electric). My '92 Honda Civic XV (or was
      > it VX?) got an estimated 48 city/57 highway. That's as good or better than
      > the Prius--especially for a car built 10 years ago with a 1.6 liter engine.
      >
      > I suppose the question is, what makes a hybrid system better than a
      > lightweight car with a highly efficient gas engine?
      >

      > --
      > "We Americans, we're a simple people...
      > but piss us off, and we'll bomb your cities."

    • Feliciano Olivero
      Message 2 of 8 , May 1, 2002
        Dear HREG member,
        I'm not an expert on this, but I would like to give you some of the
        advantages,
        -I this hybrid system the engine's function is to feed the electric
        generator which is in charge of turning the electric motor. The electric
        motor is what moves the car at non-highway speeds (0 to 50 mph). At
        highway speeds, both the electric motor and the gas engine (in a small %)
        move the car, this is the reason why the gas mileage is less in the
        highway than in the city.
        - Since the gas engine works at almost constant RPM it means that it can
        work all the time at the highest efficiency point, then produces less
        emissions than an engine working alternatively at low and high rpm.
        - The Prius accommodates 4 or 5 adults, it could be used by a family of
        5. They now can make SUVs and full size sedans with the same technology
        (once the field test with the Prius is finished) and give us the
        opportunity to enjoy a non-polluting, and gas $saving, big family car.
        - Have you driven one? is a totally different car experience.
        - The Honda hybrid (2 seater) gives 70-75 miles per gallon.
        - This are just the 2 first two cars, wait until they improve the
        technology.
        Regards,
        Feliciano Olivero
      • tigger@io.com
        Message 3 of 8 , May 2, 2002
          On Wed, 1 May 2002, Feliciano Olivero wrote:

          > Dear HREG member,
          > I'm not an expert on this, but I would like to give you some of the
          > advantages,
          > -I this hybrid system the engine's function is to feed the electric
          > generator which is in charge of turning the electric motor. The electric
          > motor is what moves the car at non-highway speeds (0 to 50 mph). At
          > highway speeds, both the electric motor and the gas engine (in a small %)
          > move the car, this is the reason why the gas mileage is less in the
          > highway than in the city.
          > - Since the gas engine works at almost constant RPM it means that it can
          > work all the time at the highest efficiency point, then produces less
          > emissions than an engine working alternatively at low and high rpm.

          So, does a conventional engine that gets 50+ miles to the gallon produce
          more pollutants than a hybrid engine that gets 50+ miles to the gallon?

          In other words, how much difference does how the fuel gets burned make?

          > - The Prius accommodates 4 or 5 adults, it could be used by a family of
          > 5. They now can make SUVs and full size sedans with the same technology
          > (once the field test with the Prius is finished) and give us the
          > opportunity to enjoy a non-polluting, and gas $saving, big family car.
          > - Have you driven one? is a totally different car experience.
          > - The Honda hybrid (2 seater) gives 70-75 miles per gallon.
          > - This are just the 2 first two cars, wait until they improve the
          > technology.

          Point taken...although if manufacturers raised the average fuel mileage of
          the majority of vehicles being sold, it would make much more impact on
          pollution and mileage than building super high-efficiency vehicles that
          would end up being only a small percentage of the cars on the road.
        • Feliciano Olivero
          Message 4 of 8 , May 4, 2002

            On Thu, 2 May 2002 06:19:56 -0500 (CDT) tigger@... writes:
            > On Wed, 1 May
            2002, Feliciano Olivero wrote:

            > > Dear HREG member,
            > > I'm not an expert on this, but I would like to give you some of

            the
            > > advantages,
            > > -I this hybrid system the engine's
            function is to feed the
            > electric
            > > generator which is in
            charge of turning the electric motor. The
            > electric
            > > motor
            is what moves the car at non-highway speeds (0 to 50 mph).
            > At
            > > highway speeds, both the electric motor and the gas engine (in a

            small %)
            > > move the car, this is the reason why the gas mileage is
            less in
            > the
            > > highway than in the city.
            > > - Since
            the gas engine works at almost constant RPM it means that
            > it
            can
            > > work all the time at the highest efficiency point, then
            produces
            > less
            > > emissions than an engine working
            alternatively at low and high
            > rpm.
            >
            > So, does a
            conventional engine that gets 50+ miles to the gallon
            > produce

            more pollutants than a hybrid engine that gets 50+ miles to the

            gallon?

            > In other words, how much difference does how the fuel
            gets burned
            > make?
             need to understand that in the Prius there is accumulation of energy in the batteries,
            and when the cars needs it is released. The energy stored in the batteries were
            generated by the engine-generator, or by the generator during the braking process
            (some of the energy is recuperated during braking).In a normal car the energy lost
            during the braking process is forever lost, gas wasted.
            There are many differences/advantages, for reference check:
            And, Honda just introduced their new Civic Hybrid!, more info at

            > > - The Prius accommodates 4 or 5
            adults, it could be used by a
            > family of
            > > 5. They now can
            make SUVs and full size sedans with the same
            > technology

            (once the field test with the Prius is finished) and give us the

            opportunity to enjoy a non-polluting, and gas $saving, big family

            car.
            > > - Have you driven one? is a totally different car
            experience.
            > > - The Honda hybrid (2 seater) gives 70-75 miles per
            gallon.
            > > - This are just the 2 first two cars, wait until they
            improve the
            > > technology.
            >
            > Point taken...although if
            manufacturers raised the average fuel
            > mileage of
            > the majority
            of vehicles being sold, it would make much more impact
            > on

            pollution and mileage than building super high-efficiency vehicles
            > that
            > would end up being only a small percentage of the cars on the
            road.

            I agree totally with you on this, as long as the cars are safe, confortable,
            and reliable.

            Regards,

            > ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups
            Sponsor
            > ---------------------~-->
            > Buy Stock for $4

            and no minimums.
            > FREE Money 2002.

            href="http://us.click.yahoo.com/orkH0C/n97DAA/Ey.GAA/xbTolB/TM">http://us.click.yahoo.com/orkH0C/n97DAA/Ey.GAA/xbTolB/TM

          • Ryan McMullan
            Message 5 of 8 , May 6, 2002
              I recently got a Prius and have been very happy with it with
              regards to performance and handling, as well as fuel economy and reduced
              environmental impact.

              At 07:19 AM 5/2/02 -0500, you wrote:
              >So, does a conventional engine that gets 50+ miles to the gallon produce
              >more pollutants than a hybrid engine that gets 50+ miles to the gallon?
              >
              >In other words, how much difference does how the fuel gets burned make?

              One advantage to the design of the Prius is that it has an electric motor
              with two sources of electricity (the battery and the gas engine). This
              makes it well posed to take advantage of future advances (such as fuel
              cells) to play the role of the gas engine as a generator. It's just smart
              in terms of long-term planning for the technology.

              > > - The Prius accommodates 4 or 5 adults, it could be used by a family of
              > > 5. They now can make SUVs and full size sedans with the same technology
              > > (once the field test with the Prius is finished) and give us the
              > > opportunity to enjoy a non-polluting, and gas $saving, big family car.
              > > - Have you driven one? is a totally different car experience.
              > > - The Honda hybrid (2 seater) gives 70-75 miles per gallon.
              > > - This are just the 2 first two cars, wait until they improve the
              > > technology.
              >
              >Point taken...although if manufacturers raised the average fuel mileage of
              >the majority of vehicles being sold, it would make much more impact on
              >pollution and mileage than building super high-efficiency vehicles that
              >would end up being only a small percentage of the cars on the road.

              The Prius is heavier than a Corolla and so does not have the same fears of
              "lightweighting" and safety that some folks claim when talking about fuel
              economy. It's an excellent example of a car that is safe, effective,
              easy-to-use, and fun to drive. It also has many features that could be
              applied to any car, such as cabin insulation and glass that reflects both
              infrared and ultraviolet light. Both of these features reduce the heat
              load and allow them to use a smaller, more efficient air conditioning
              system. I had high expectations for the vehicle and have been pleasantly
              surprised on just about everything.

              Ryan
            • Ryan McMullan
              Message 6 of 8 , May 9, 2002
                Hello all,

                I was just wondering how the KRBE Earth Day event worked out. Did a good
                number of people come by? Have they announced the winners of the booth
                contest? How much money did they share with HREG? Sorry I couldn't be there.

                Ryan
              • Mike Ewert
                Message 7 of 8 , May 12, 2002
                  It was good. I hope to have some of Oral's pictures up on our website soon.
                  I don't know about the winners or who got any money. Charlie, can you check
                  with KRBE before they forget?