Re: [hreg] Solar lawn care

  • Blase D. Sands
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 19, 2002
      Hmmmmm. I'm wondering about the possibility of this being something for
      an article in the September issue of Emerging Lifestyles Magazine. What
      do you think?
      Roseanne Sands
      Editor

      GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
    • tigger@io.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 19, 2002
        Actually, I've got solar beat for lawn care--at least for mowing. It's
        pretty simple, too. I just use an old-fashioned push mower. It takes about
        as much effort to push as a much heavier gas mower, it's very safe (I mow in
        shorts and sandals without worry) and it's so quiet that I've taken calls on
        my cellphone while mowing.
        I'd highly recommend one for anyone who is opposed to using gas mowers,
        wants a little exercise, and has a small-to-medium sized yard.

        Paul "Ah, push it read good!" Archer

        On Fri, 19 Apr 2002, Mike Ewert wrote:

        > Last weekend I plugged my weed eater into the solar PV system on my car
        > (those of you who have seen my car know what I'm talking about; for those
        > who haven't, look for me at the Art Car parade on the 27th).
        >
        > I know it sounds strange, but I just happen to keep my solar panels on my
        > car. James Ferril, another HREG member who inspired me to think about lawn
        > care equipment, has his on his tool shed. He uses his to recharge lawn
        > equipment as well as other things.
        >
        > Seriously, I would like to see HREG promote electric lawn care equipment
        > with the additional goal of using renewable electricity. Small gasoline
        > powered equipment contributes a lot to pollution. (I think James has some
        > statistics). If we can perfect this type of system by various members
        > experimenting, then we could promote it city-wide and make a difference in
        > Houston. It may even be a business opportunity for someone to convince lawn
        > mowing services that they can continue to work in the cool morning hours
        > despite the ban on gas mowers during certain hours.
        >
        > This is probably beyond what most of us need, but there is an article in
        > Mother Earth News about solar electric tractors. It mentions an electric
        > lawn tractor for $8000. I confess, I bought a gas riding lawn mower when we
        > bought a vacant lot - for $800. We've got to find a way to narrow the gap.
        > We can't expect people to pay 10X's more for environmental reasons.
        >
        > Who wants to try solar lawn care next? You can start small.
        >
        > Technical details of my system:
        > 225 watts PV
        > 1 deka solar battery - I'm not sure how many amp hours
        > 500 watt Trace Tiger inverter
        > 400 watt weed eater
        >
        > The inverter is limiting me; otherwise I could use my 700 watt electric
        > edger with it too.
        >
        > Comments?

        "We Americans, we're a simple people...
        but piss us off, and we'll bomb your cities."
        --------------Robin Williams------------------
      • jclem412@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 19, 2002
          HREG,

          I am with you all on solar powered lawn care. I use a pushmower (no gas or
          electric), but do the trimming and edging, via an electric weed eater, with
          power from my battery bank in my garage.

          Though we do not have an air quality probelem (yet!) in Port Townsend,
          Washington, there is something to be said about noise pollution and fuel
          consumption.

          My specs:

          220 Amp-hour Battery Bank at 24 V (n=4 Trojan T-105)
          64 Watt PV Panel (Evergreen)
          C-25 Charge Controller (Trace)
          DR 3624 Inverter (Trace)

          I use the system mainly to charge my 10 Amp-hour electric bike battery
          through an AC charger acquired with the bike. I had charged the bike
          directly with DC for over a year, but I could not charge when I got home late
          in the day.

          We lose power perhaps 2 to 3 times per year, for an average of 8 to 24 hours
          each. So, I will also be able to fix a pot of coffee.

          If we were still in Houston, alternative powered lawn care would be a cause I
          would support vigorously. Good job folks and good luck.

          Jonathan A. Clemens
        • Andrew McCalla
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 22, 2002
            A buddy of mine in Houston had a company for a while called : "Clean Air
            Lawn Care". Their logo was of a blower with a circle around it and a slash
            through it.

            They maintained lawns with such archaic devices as the reel mower, manual
            edger, shears, rakes, and brooms.

            Andrew H. McCalla
            Meridian Energy Systems, Inc.
            Solar-Electric System Design, Installation, and Service.
            P.O. Box 5810
            Austin, TX 78763
            Tel: 512-477-3050
            Fax: 512-477-3035