Re: [hreg] [Fwd:Smoking Vehicle Program: turn 'em in!

  • Polly Ledvina
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 7, 2002
      What about the schizophrenia of reducing the speed limit, while at the same
      time initiating massive highway expansion programs? How much will the speed
      limit need to be reduced to compensate for all the additional cars pouring
      into the city when the Katy Freeway is expanded to 24 lanes?

      Highway expansion projects never reduce congestion. Expanded roads only
      fill back up by inducing demand. New highways are disincentive to
      alternative means of transportation. In a very short time the Katy Freeway
      will have more cars, more pollution, more heat, more noise, more congestion,
      and more communities in grid-lock than ever before. We will be light years
      behind where we could be, because we're chosen to spend our transportation
      dollars paving over homes, businesses, and greenspaces for more freeway,
      rather than providing clean, well-considered, hospitable alternatives.

      Polly