Re: [hreg] Fw: Enron's Impact on Renewable Energy and the Environment

  • Polly Ledvina
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 11, 2002
      I don't generally make it my business to mail out the Gallon report. I sent
      this one because I thought it was particularly relevant.

      All issues have more than one side and dialogue is what is required to learn
      all sides. Informative discussions should be possible on list like hreg.
      Truth or Trash, the good thing that should have come from posting the Gallon
      report was the opportunity to learn more sides of the issue - if only those
      who are more knowledgeable had posted intelligent rebuttals instead of just
      getting angry.

      Some very thoughtful responses are now being directed to me personally. I
      encourage those authors to send their letters to the list so that everyone
      might benefit. It would be a service and it's a much better way to combat
      "hype" than anger.

      Polly

        > I didn't expect the Gallon Letter would antagonize members of this group.
        > Actually, I thought most would relate. I was obviously wrong. Three
        people
        > are extremely irate and calling it trash (although none have clarified
        what
        > part did not make sense) and nobody has spoken up for any truth that
        might
        > be there. After re-reading it I still don't see what there is to disagree
        > with. Can anyone enlighten me? Feel free to write privately lest we
        > "create more distraction and distress."
        >
        > Polly

        Montreal,
        > Quebec H3Y 2R5
        > > Ph. (514) 369-0230,
        Fax
        > (514) 369-3282

        Email

        *************************************************************************>

> [...]
        > Accounting: A Tool for Cost Saving Recognition and Environmental
        > Protection." This is methodology that has been extensively tested in
        > Germany and Japan as a means for companies to seek competitive advantage
        in
        > Eco-Efficient Management. This technique should also work well in
        > university programs aimed at greening of the campus since it addresses the
        > financial impacts of these programs. For more information about the
        lecture
        > contact Dr. Robert Pojasek, Adjunct Faculty Lecturer, Harvard School of
        > Public Health, P.O. Box 1333, East. Arlington, Massachusetts 02474-0071,
        ph.
        > (781) 641-2422, fax (781) 465-6006, email rpojasek@...
        > <mailto:rpojasek@...> . Visit their website at
        > <http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/facres/pojasek.html> .
        > >

        > xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

        for
        > Business and the >
        > > Environment,
        > Montreal & Toronto

        All
        > rights reserved.
        > >
        > xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

        > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.
        > >

        > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=221000.1882886.3382503.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17050641

        77:HM/A=965713/R=0/O=1/I=brandr-promo-flowersale-alerts-lrecg/*http://shoppi
        > ng.yahoo.com/promotions/flowers/index.html>

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=221000.1882886.3382503.1261774/D=egroupmai
        > l/S=1705064177:HM/A=965713/rand=990145074>

        > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

      • Andrew McCalla
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 11, 2002
          Joseph,

          Points well taken.

          However, I must take issue with your statement:  "Without a deregulated power grid, green power wouldn't even be available."

          Aside from those putting in their own systems, it has been available for many for some time, and from utilities even, just not yours.

          Andrew H. McCalla
          Meridian Energy Systems, Inc.
          Solar-Electric System Design, Installation, and Service.
          P.O. Box 5810
          Austin, TX  78763
          Tel: 512-477-3050
          Fax: 512-477-3035
        • Joseph Phelan
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 11, 2002
            ...and most of them live in Phoenix where it's sunny all day, or in West Texas, where it's windy.  It is my opinion that you need a connected, deregulated grid so everyone can play via financial settlements esp in regions not so blessed.
            Enron is not "my" utility.  I am unemployed.
            There is no love lost for Enron on my part, trust me.

            You guys hiring?

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 11, 2002
              Joseph,

              Not having done any recent demographic studies on residential renewable energy system installations, by kW rating or quantity, I'm not sure where "most" of "them" live, but I doubt you would be right in assuming that "most of them live in Phoenix where it's sunny all day, or in West Texas, where it's windy."   By the way, who is your utility provider?  Are they offering green power and are you taking advantage of it?

              However, I do agree with your opinion that we need a connected, deregulated grid.  Preferably, one day, one so advanced as that which Buckminster Fuller envisioned:

              http://www.geni.org/energy/issues/overview/english/grid.html

              Actually, we are hiring.  If you can hold your own with system design and installation, and are fairly handy at chopping wood and carrying water, please give me a call.

              Andrew