RE: [hreg] Fw: Enron's Impact on Renewable Energy and the Environment

  • Claude Foster
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 11, 2002
      Don't take me off the mailing list but this trash should be disposed properly sothat it will not create more distraction and distress.

      Claude

    • Polly Ledvina
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 11, 2002
        I didn't expect the Gallon Letter would antagonize members of this group.
        Actually, I thought most would relate. I was obviously wrong. Three people
        are extremely irate and calling it trash (although none have clarified what
        part did not make sense) and nobody has spoken up for any truth that might
        be there. After re-reading it I still don't see what there is to disagree
        with. Can anyone enlighten me? Feel free to write privately lest we
        "create more distraction and distress."

        Polly

        Don't take me off the mailing list but this trash should be disposed
        properly sothat it will not create more distraction and distress.

        Claude

        Quebec H3Y 2R5
        > Ph. (514) 369-0230, Fax
        (514) 369-3282
        cibe@... <mailto:cibe@...>
        2, February 8, 2002

> [...]
        report their environmental liabilities to potential investors. A 1998
        Environmental Protection Agency (US EPA) study found that 74 percent of
        publicly-traded companies had failed to adequately disclose the existence of
        environmental legal proceedings in their 10-K registration requirements as
        mandated by the Securities Exchange Commission. In October 2001, the EPA
        launched a campaign for corporate environmental accounting under US SEC
        Regulation S-K. For more information visit the websites
        <http://www.pollutiononline.com/read/nl20010515/427844>, and
        > <http://es.epa.gov/oeca/ore/sec.pdf> . And now Senator Jefford's has
        proposed a draft bill to have corporations file the financial impact of
        their greenhouse gas emission performance on their quarterly and annual SEC
        10-Q & 10-K filings under SEC Regulation S-K.

        Proceedings>
> [...]
        Germany) presented a seminar entitled "Material Flow Oriented Cost
        Accounting: A Tool for Cost Saving Recognition and Environmental
        Protection." This is methodology that has been extensively tested in
        Germany and Japan as a means for companies to seek competitive advantage in
        Eco-Efficient Management. This technique should also work well in
        university programs aimed at greening of the campus since it addresses the
        financial impacts of these programs. For more information about the lecture
        contact Dr. Robert Pojasek, Adjunct Faculty Lecturer, Harvard School of
        Public Health, P.O. Box 1333, East. Arlington, Massachusetts 02474-0071, ph.
        (781) 641-2422, fax (781) 465-6006, email rpojasek@...
        <mailto:rpojasek@...> . Visit their website at
        <http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/facres/pojasek.html> .

        xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

        Business and the >
        > Environment,
        Montreal & Toronto
        > All
        rights reserved.

        xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 11, 2002
          I don't generally make it my business to mail out the Gallon report. I sent
          this one because I thought it was particularly relevant.

          All issues have more than one side and dialogue is what is required to learn
          all sides. Informative discussions should be possible on list like hreg.
          Truth or Trash, the good thing that should have come from posting the Gallon
          report was the opportunity to learn more sides of the issue - if only those
          who are more knowledgeable had posted intelligent rebuttals instead of just
          getting angry.

          Some very thoughtful responses are now being directed to me personally. I
          encourage those authors to send their letters to the list so that everyone
          might benefit. It would be a service and it's a much better way to combat
          "hype" than anger.

          Polly

          > Please keep me on the list for the Gallon report. I found it very
          > informative & factual. Some people just don't like being bludgeoned over
          > the head with the truth, facts & reality...I don't mind that. Keep it
          > coming!
          > Thanks, AJL

          No.
> [...]
          > > >
          > > Copyright (c) 2002
          > > > Canadian Institute
          > for
          > > Business and the >
          > > > Environment,
          > > Montreal & Toronto
          > > >
          > All
          > > rights reserved.
          > > >
          > > xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
          > > >

          > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service
          > > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.
          > > >

          > > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=221000.1882886.3382503.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17050641

          77:HM/A=965713/R=0/O=1/I=brandr-promo-flowersale-alerts-lrecg/*http://shoppi
          > > ng.yahoo.com/promotions/flowers/index.html>

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=221000.1882886.3382503.1261774/D=egroupmai
          > > l/S=1705064177:HM/A=965713/rand=990145074>
          > > >
          > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service

        • asa lawrence
            > I didn't expect the Gallon Letter would antagonize members of this group.
            > Actually, I thought most would relate. I was obviously wrong. Three
            people
            > are extremely irate and calling it trash (although none have clarified
            what
            > part did not make sense) and nobody has spoken up for any truth that
            might
            > be there. After re-reading it I still don't see what there is to disagree
            > with. Can anyone enlighten me? Feel free to write privately lest we
            > "create more distraction and distress."
            >
            > Polly

            Montreal,
            > Quebec H3Y 2R5
            > > Ph. (514) 369-0230,
            Fax
            > (514) 369-3282

            Email

            *************************************************************************>

> [...]
            > Accounting: A Tool for Cost Saving Recognition and Environmental
            > Protection." This is methodology that has been extensively tested in
            > Germany and Japan as a means for companies to seek competitive advantage
            in
            > Eco-Efficient Management. This technique should also work well in
            > university programs aimed at greening of the campus since it addresses the
            > financial impacts of these programs. For more information about the
            lecture
            > contact Dr. Robert Pojasek, Adjunct Faculty Lecturer, Harvard School of
            > Public Health, P.O. Box 1333, East. Arlington, Massachusetts 02474-0071,
            ph.
            > (781) 641-2422, fax (781) 465-6006, email rpojasek@...
            > <mailto:rpojasek@...> . Visit their website at
            > <http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/facres/pojasek.html> .
            > >

            > xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

            for
            > Business and the >
            > > Environment,
            > Montreal & Toronto

            All
            > rights reserved.
            > >
            > xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

            > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.
            > >

            > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=221000.1882886.3382503.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17050641

            77:HM/A=965713/R=0/O=1/I=brandr-promo-flowersale-alerts-lrecg/*http://shoppi
            > ng.yahoo.com/promotions/flowers/index.html>

            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=221000.1882886.3382503.1261774/D=egroupmai
            > l/S=1705064177:HM/A=965713/rand=990145074>

            > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

          • Andrew McCalla
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 11, 2002
              Joseph,

              Points well taken.

              However, I must take issue with your statement:  "Without a deregulated power grid, green power wouldn't even be available."

              Aside from those putting in their own systems, it has been available for many for some time, and from utilities even, just not yours.

              Andrew H. McCalla
              Meridian Energy Systems, Inc.
              Solar-Electric System Design, Installation, and Service.
              P.O. Box 5810
              Austin, TX  78763
              Tel: 512-477-3050
              Fax: 512-477-3035
            • Joseph Phelan
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 11, 2002
                ...and most of them live in Phoenix where it's sunny all day, or in West Texas, where it's windy.  It is my opinion that you need a connected, deregulated grid so everyone can play via financial settlements esp in regions not so blessed.
                Enron is not "my" utility.  I am unemployed.
                There is no love lost for Enron on my part, trust me.

                You guys hiring?

                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 11, 2002
                  Joseph,

                  Not having done any recent demographic studies on residential renewable energy system installations, by kW rating or quantity, I'm not sure where "most" of "them" live, but I doubt you would be right in assuming that "most of them live in Phoenix where it's sunny all day, or in West Texas, where it's windy."   By the way, who is your utility provider?  Are they offering green power and are you taking advantage of it?

                  However, I do agree with your opinion that we need a connected, deregulated grid.  Preferably, one day, one so advanced as that which Buckminster Fuller envisioned:

                  http://www.geni.org/energy/issues/overview/english/grid.html

                  Actually, we are hiring.  If you can hold your own with system design and installation, and are fairly handy at chopping wood and carrying water, please give me a call.

                  Andrew