PV System Payback

  • James Ferrill
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 9, 2002
      Many people say that PV systems are inherently expensive and take too long
      to payback. I saw this in Home Power #87 today regarding PV system payback.
      It was really funny.

      Home Power 87, Page 28
      Wheaton-Smith System

      My Friend Has a Bass Fishing Boat
      And US $30,000 later, it is a system fully charged by
      solar noon, running 75 to 90 percent of my electric
      usage. My last grid bill was US $9.37.

      What does this have to do with bass fishing? One of my
      colleagues asked me how I could justify this system
      with its switches, gadgets, meters, flashing lights, and
      redundancy? I knew he had just bought a bass fishing
      boat. So I asked him what it cost.

      "$21,000," he said.

      "And how many bass have you eaten?"

      "Seven fish," he said.

      "So," I said, "you are running $3,000 per fish."

      BTW, I have the Watt's Up meter in the shed measuring system output and
      usage. Plus, I've been measuring various things around the house,
      especially phantom loads. I'll wrap it all into a report when I'm done
      collecting data.

      James
    • Polly Ledvina
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 9, 2002
        True. We support alternative energy, and are willing to pay more for it, as
        a matter of principle (if not recreation). Anyway, energy derived from
        fossil fuels isn't cheaper - it only appears that way because the bill for
        degrading the environment and compromising national security doesn't show
        up in a Reliant Energy envelope.

        > Many people say that PV systems are inherently expensive and take too long
        > to payback. I saw this in Home Power #87 today regarding PV system
        payback.
        > It was really funny.

        > Home Power 87, Page 28
        > Wheaton-Smith System
        >
        > My Friend Has a Bass Fishing Boat
        > And US $30,000 later, it is a system fully charged by
        > solar noon, running 75 to 90 percent of my electric
        > usage. My last grid bill was US $9.37.
        >
        > What does this have to do with bass fishing? One of my
        > colleagues asked me how I could justify this system
        > with its switches, gadgets, meters, flashing lights, and
        > redundancy? I knew he had just bought a bass fishing
        > boat. So I asked him what it cost.
        >
        > "$21,000," he said.
        >
        > "And how many bass have you eaten?"
        >
        > "Seven fish," he said.
        >
        > "So," I said, "you are running $3,000 per fish."

        > BTW, I have the Watt's Up meter in the shed measuring system output and
        > usage. Plus, I've been measuring various things around the house,
        > especially phantom loads. I'll wrap it all into a report when I'm done
        > collecting data.
        >
        > James

      • Steven Shepard
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 11, 2002
          This is a web link to an interview with a couple that have a 31 kW solar
          electric system. 31,000 watts is much larger than most homeowners would
          ever consider installing. They wanted to be able to provide enough
          electricity to meet their household energy requirements and fuel their
          electric vehicles. I think your will find the interview very
          interesting, especially if you have questions about how a solar electric
          system operates.

          PV Economics 101 - Part1
          http://evworld.com/databases/storybuilder.cfm?storyid=299

          PV Economics 101 - Part 2