[hreg] Re: HREG Chapter News

  • OLafleur@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 2, 2000
      Hey Steve!

      If you need some help just let me know and I will be happy to help with the
      article. I think you should write it even if you missed the deadline. We
      can always use it in the brochure or in HREG's portfolio.

      Oral
    • James Ferrill
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 15, 2000
        Jonathan,

        Would you like me to post this to relevant usenet newsgroups? I think
        more than a few people would be interested.

        James Ferrill

        jclem41-@... wrote:
        original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/hreg/?start=138

        > Kathryn: Please see attached (and below) re: HREG Chapter News
        >
        > HREG: Please respond if there are omissions or errors in the news
        article

        > Thanks.
        >
        > Jonathan
        >
        > Chapter News - HREG (1st Quarter 2000)
        >
        > The Houston Renewable Energy Group hosts regular scheduled meetings
        on the
        > last Sunday of odd-numbered months at Texas Southern University -
        Engineering
        > Building, at 2 pm. The acting president, Mike Ewert, is available at
        > mike.ewert@.... Officers will be elected after Earth Day. A
        membership
        > drive is in progress, with business cards and bookmarks already
        available. A
        > chapter brochure will be available by Earth Day. For membership
        information,
        > contact the chapter representative Jonathan Clemens at
        jclem412@....

        > Communication amongst HREG members is facilitated by the use of
        e-mail.
        > Registered members can freely communicate by sending and receiving
        e-mails to
        > and from hreg@egroups.com. Messages are archived and distributed to
        all
        > members at the same time. Thanks to Kim Travis for arranging and
        moderating
        > e-groups. The chapter's web page is now on-line, as a link in the
        TxSES web
        > site at www.txses.org.
        >
        > HREG is in the process of joining the Citizens Environmental
        Coalition (CEC)
        > in Houston. Charles Mauch is submitting the application and will be
        the
        > point of contact. The CEC's two-story facility, a bee-hive of
        organized
        > environmental activity, is located at 3115 Richmond Avenue. Smart
        Growth is
        > welcomed growth in the Houston area. A smart growth coalition, led
        by the
        > CEC and the Gulf Coast Institute, holds promise for educating the
        public on
        > energy efficient buildings and developing a philosophy conducive to
        > incorporating renewable energy into our daily lives. Kudos to David
        Crossley
        > and others in promoting the principles of Smart Growth. Principles
        of smart
        > gowth (and living) include sustainability, respect for the
        environment, and
        > avoidance of sprawl.
        >
        > HREG will be participating in Earth Day activities this year at
        Buffalo Bayou
        > Park, Saturday April 20. The group will have a display, with
        demonstrations,
        > solar energy products, and educational materials. Mike Ewert's son
        and
        > fellow classmates in Seabrook, Texas are busy building a
        solar-powered
        > go-cart, with plans to demonstrate at Earth Day 2000. Member Steve
        Stelzer
        > was happy to help his son's elementary school install a solar-powered
        fan,
        > with some help from member Oral Lafleur.
        >
        > In February Jonathan Clemens attended a Clear Lake Area Chamber of
        Commerce
        > luncheon featuring air quality planner Lily Wells of the
        Houston-Galveston
        > Area Council. With over 100 business leaders and managers in
        attendance,
        > Lily presented on overview of the State Implementation Plan (SIP) for
        the
        > Houston region. The SIP provides plans and control measures to
        reduce
        > emissions and thus improve air quality to at least meet the EPA's
        standard
        > for ground level ozone. Renewable energy has the potential to help
        the air
        > quality problem, if only for eliminating needless emissions from
        > fossil-fueled electricity plants. The bulk of the planned emissions
        > reductions apply to point sources, such as petrochemical and electric
        power
        > plants.
        >
        > FUTURE PLANS - HREG plans to make presentations to local schools and
        > organizations to educate the public about renewable energy. The
        Houston
        > chapter of TxSES will be supporting the Renewable Energy Roundup this
        Fall in

      • Solarcraft@csi
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 15, 2000
          James,

          If you don't mind, that would be a good idea.