[hreg] Re: HREG Chapter News

  • ChasMauch@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 2, 2000
      Hello again everyone,
      According to the letter I received from KRBE the "Third Annual 104 KRBE Enron
      Earth Day Festival" will be from 11am to 7pm on Saturday, April 1, 2000 at
      Buffalo Bayou Park. Will send more details when I get them.
      Charlie Mauch
    • OLafleur@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 2, 2000
        Hey Steve!

        If you need some help just let me know and I will be happy to help with the
        article. I think you should write it even if you missed the deadline. We
        can always use it in the brochure or in HREG's portfolio.

        Oral
      • James Ferrill
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 15, 2000
          Jonathan,

          Would you like me to post this to relevant usenet newsgroups? I think
          more than a few people would be interested.

          James Ferrill

          jclem41-@... wrote:
          original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/hreg/?start=138

          > Kathryn: Please see attached (and below) re: HREG Chapter News
          >
          > HREG: Please respond if there are omissions or errors in the news
          article

          > Thanks.
          >
          > Jonathan
          >
          > Chapter News - HREG (1st Quarter 2000)
          >
          > The Houston Renewable Energy Group hosts regular scheduled meetings
          on the
          > last Sunday of odd-numbered months at Texas Southern University -
          Engineering
          > Building, at 2 pm. The acting president, Mike Ewert, is available at
          > mike.ewert@.... Officers will be elected after Earth Day. A
          membership
          > drive is in progress, with business cards and bookmarks already
          available. A
          > chapter brochure will be available by Earth Day. For membership
          information,
          > contact the chapter representative Jonathan Clemens at
          jclem412@....

          > Communication amongst HREG members is facilitated by the use of
          e-mail.
          > Registered members can freely communicate by sending and receiving
          e-mails to
          > and from hreg@egroups.com. Messages are archived and distributed to
          all
          > members at the same time. Thanks to Kim Travis for arranging and
          moderating
          > e-groups. The chapter's web page is now on-line, as a link in the
          TxSES web
          > site at www.txses.org.
          >
          > HREG is in the process of joining the Citizens Environmental
          Coalition (CEC)
          > in Houston. Charles Mauch is submitting the application and will be
          the
          > point of contact. The CEC's two-story facility, a bee-hive of
          organized
          > environmental activity, is located at 3115 Richmond Avenue. Smart
          Growth is
          > welcomed growth in the Houston area. A smart growth coalition, led
          by the
          > CEC and the Gulf Coast Institute, holds promise for educating the
          public on
          > energy efficient buildings and developing a philosophy conducive to
          > incorporating renewable energy into our daily lives. Kudos to David
          Crossley
          > and others in promoting the principles of Smart Growth. Principles
          of smart
          > gowth (and living) include sustainability, respect for the
          environment, and
          > avoidance of sprawl.
          >
          > HREG will be participating in Earth Day activities this year at
          Buffalo Bayou
          > Park, Saturday April 20. The group will have a display, with
          demonstrations,
          > solar energy products, and educational materials. Mike Ewert's son
          and
          > fellow classmates in Seabrook, Texas are busy building a
          solar-powered
          > go-cart, with plans to demonstrate at Earth Day 2000. Member Steve
          Stelzer
          > was happy to help his son's elementary school install a solar-powered
          fan,
          > with some help from member Oral Lafleur.
          >
          > In February Jonathan Clemens attended a Clear Lake Area Chamber of
          Commerce
          > luncheon featuring air quality planner Lily Wells of the
          Houston-Galveston
          > Area Council. With over 100 business leaders and managers in
          attendance,
          > Lily presented on overview of the State Implementation Plan (SIP) for
          the
          > Houston region. The SIP provides plans and control measures to
          reduce
          > emissions and thus improve air quality to at least meet the EPA's
          standard
          > for ground level ozone. Renewable energy has the potential to help
          the air
          > quality problem, if only for eliminating needless emissions from
          > fossil-fueled electricity plants. The bulk of the planned emissions
          > reductions apply to point sources, such as petrochemical and electric
          power
          > plants.
          >
          > FUTURE PLANS - HREG plans to make presentations to local schools and
          > organizations to educate the public about renewable energy. The
          Houston
          > chapter of TxSES will be supporting the Renewable Energy Roundup this
          Fall in

        • Solarcraft@csi
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 15, 2000
            James,

            If you don't mind, that would be a good idea.