Re: [hreg] Green Mountain scouting report

  • ChasMauch@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 28, 2002
      I read somewhere that Green Mountain prices would be about 5% higher than the others.Glad to hear that they are reasonably competitive.

      Also, I keep hearing that some folks are concerned that GM's parent company uses landfill methane in their "green mix" as though that is bad, but so far as I can see, that is a very good thing. All landfills generate methane from the decompositon of organic materials (swamp gas) and normally this will work its way to the surface and escape through cracks into the atmosphere. Of course methane is a hydrocarbon gas but it is the cleanest burning since it has the highest hydrogen to carbon ratio, and though the burning creates CO2 which is a greenhouse gas, the CO2 is better than methane which is also an even worse greenhouse gas and at least we get some fuel value out of it so it is better than letting it escape into the atmosphere.

      As I understand it, the local GM company uses 100% wind power and no landfill methane, but even if they did, I would consider that an overall plus.

      Charlie