RE: [hreg] project ideas

  • Karl Appleton
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 14, 2002
      RE: [hreg] project ideas

      I have been to this place and it offers a lot in the areas you mention plus lots more.
      A little too far from Houston to be practical but the site may be worth a visit for inspiration.
      http://www.cat.org.uk

      Does anyone know of similar locations/ organisations within a days drive or so of Houston?
      Karl

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 15, 2002
        Thank you, Kim

        Claude Foster wrote:

        > Your list has been forwarded to one of the outstanding technical high
        > schools in Houston for their consideration.

      • Sean Ryan
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 15, 2002
          Snippet from a ocean journal I receive:

          Dublin, Ireland -- According to the BBC, Ireland
          expects a bit cut in greenhouse gas emissions. The
          country's government has approved plans for the
          world's largest offshore electricity-generating wind
          farm, to be built on a sandbank in the Irish Sea south
          of Dublin. When completed, the 200 turbines will
          produce 10% of the country's electricity needs.
          Marine
          Minister Frank Fahey said the 700-million euro
          (USD$630 million) development would have three times
          the generating capacity of all current offshore wind
          farms worldwide. Fahey added that the wind farm would
          do much to help Ireland achieve its targets under the
          Kyoto Protocol on limiting global warming, cutting
          greenhouse gas emissions by 13 million tonnes per
          year.

          The plant on the 27-kilometer-long Arklow sandbank
          will be built by a private Irish company, Eirtricity.
          It will be about 7 kilometers from the shore at its
          nearest point. Arklow Bank runs north-south along the
          coast, with water depths of between 5 and 25 meters.
          Eirtricity officials said they hope to begin
          construction work in the spring, with the first phase
          of the project, generating 60 megawatts, going into
          operation in the autumn.

          One megawatt of wind-generating capacity typically
          will satisfy the electricity needs of 350 households
          in an industrial society, or roughly 1,000 people.
          The plant's capacity will ultimately reach 520
          megawatts. The state will receive up to 1.9 million
          euros ($1.7 million) a year from Eirtricity in rentals
          and royalties.

          A report published last week said that wind-generated
          electricity production jumped by 31% last year, making
          it the most rapidly growing branch of the power
          industry. Since 1985 the use of coal for power
          generation has dropped by 9%, while the use of wind
          has increased by 487%. U.S. experience shows
          it is now also one of the cheapest methods of
          generating electricity, the report says.

          Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
          http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/