Re: [hreg] Hydrogen-based transportation

  • ChasMauch@aol.com
    Message 1 of 90 , Jan 12, 2002
      Like most big corporations with political clout, the Big 3 have other ways of dealing with competition besides making a competitive product. The first time they were seriously challenged by foriegn competitors offering a superior product 20 or 30 years ago they went to the government and got 5 year's worth of import quotas to "give them time to get competitive." I remember it well - had to wait in line for months and pay a premium to get my Toyota Tercell. They just used the 5 year grace period of protection from competition to continue making profits and still did not have a competitive product - it took them many years to change their sluggish ways and finally start making good cars - some say they still have not really achieved superiority but - like many things - that's a matter of opinion.

      But I would like to change the subject slightly. Since we have a wide variety of outlooks and opinions on this list, I would like to get a sense of how everyone feels about another matter that is not off subject - in fact it is seriously relevant to our organization - we are, after all, the Houston Renewable Energy group.

      Several weeks ago a member of the Houston Chronicle editorial board wrote an editorial entitled "Lead us to energy independence, Mr. Bush" in which he suggested that we need to have a "Man on the Moon" or "Manhattan Project" effort to encourage conservation and develop renewable energy so as to achieve energy independence from foriegn oil, since we now import almost 60% of what we use. This affects our national security, our balance of payments, our total economy, the environment, and many other matters. He suggested that since Bush and Chaney are oil men, they were the ones to do this, much as Nixon had the credentials as a commie fighter to open our relations with China.

      Then several weeks later I saw the same identical ideas expressed by Thomas Friedman in the NY Times, even including the reference to the "Nixon-China" thing.

      Then last week I was meeting with Congressman Kevin Brady (a moderate Republican from the Houston area) about another matter and in passing mentioned it to him and he said he thought it might be a good idea.

      Now I had thought about this myself but dismissed it as maybe a bit too radical but now I feel that it makes sense and is something we should do and the public would accept. Since I will be running for the Texas Railroad Commission on the Green Party line again this year, I plan to make it a very serious part of my campaign and discuss it at every opportunity.

      I know this is not a focus group but would appreciate some thoughts from everyone, including some of you lurkers. I know also some folks have complained about too much traffic on this list and I guess I am one of the worst offenders so it you prefer to just send it to me and not the whole list, that's fine (but I would hope it would be of interest to most of our members). Thanks for your consideration.

      Charlie
    • JOHN GARDNER
      Message 90 of 90 , Jan 20, 2006
        I have accepted to be at the Woodlands event on April 8.
        John Gardner

        Michael Ewert <mewert@...> wrote:
        Looking ahead to Earth Day, I’d like to get an idea how many of you will be willing to help staff an HREG booth at one event or other.  I’m sure we will have many opportunities and I don’t want to accept more than we can handle.  Please let me know if you would like to staff the specific request below or if you would like to sign up tentatively to staff another Earth Day event.  Most will be on Saturdays in April.  Please e-mail me at mewert@....  Thank you.