Re: [hreg] Hydrogen-based transportation

  • ChasMauch@aol.com
    Message 1 of 90 , Jan 10, 2002
      There was a version of this article in today's Houston Chronicle. I notice they say this will EVENTUALLY help reduce dependence on imported oil and end vehicle pollution, talk about LONG TERM results, and say that this vision spans SEVERAL DECADES. Environmentalists note that the parties to this (the big 3 auto makers) have been fighting increases in federal mileage standards for years and have continued to shift more and more of their production into gas thirsty trucks and SUVs.

      They talk a good game but their actions indicate no interest at all in fuel economy unless forced in that direction. Merceds Benz has been saying they will have a fuel cell car in production in 2 or 3 years, but most of the industry will probably continue to drag their feet as long as possible while putting out press releases like this.

      The auto industry historically fought such simple safety features as air bags, padded dash, collapseable steering wheel column, breakaway rear view mirrors, safety glass, stronger door hinges, and everything else until forced by Ralph Nader and other consumer adovcates to apply the simple technology that had been available for years.

      These guys have zero credibility with me. They don't care about safery or reducing our reliance on foriegn oil imports or pollution or anything else but their bottom line. Maybe I'm too hard on them but if history is any guide - and I think it is - they are still blowing smoke, after all these years, stalling for more time, and expecting us all to buy it. I don't.
      Charlie
    • JOHN GARDNER
      Message 90 of 90 , Jan 20, 2006
        I have accepted to be at the Woodlands event on April 8.
        John Gardner

        Michael Ewert <mewert@...> wrote:
        Looking ahead to Earth Day, I’d like to get an idea how many of you will be willing to help staff an HREG booth at one event or other.  I’m sure we will have many opportunities and I don’t want to accept more than we can handle.  Please let me know if you would like to staff the specific request below or if you would like to sign up tentatively to staff another Earth Day event.  Most will be on Saturdays in April.  Please e-mail me at mewert@....  Thank you.