Re: [hreg] Earth Day

  • Ryan McMullan
    Message 1 of 90 , Dec 19, 2001
      At 11:45 AM 12/19/01 -0500, you wrote:
      In a message dated 12/19/01 9:46:38 AM Central Standard Time, mcmullan@... writes:

      I'm organizing the Rice end of the Houston Earth Day concert (the
      other end is the Citizen's Environmental Coalition)

      Are the CEC and Rice co-sponsoring this event?

      Yes, or at least Rice's Recycling program is (I still have to check with the higher-ups to see if I can say that Rice as an institution sponsors it).

      and our plan is to have
      the event be free (we don't want to discourage people from     coming to learn).  Of course, that means we'll have to pay for it with sponsorships, food/drink sales, and booths, but it should be worth it if we bring in more people that learn something new.

      There will be quite a few expenses and I suspect they can only be covered by charging an admission fee (ug!) or getting some corporate sponsorship (double ug!). You may be able to find corporations that have deep pockets and are also somewhat environmentally aware (such as Whole Foods) but there are not many to choose from (and actually I have a few problems with Whole Foods). The best may be to earn all you can from food drinks etc, get a few small business and/or individual donations, and charge a small admission fee (possibly voluntary). They were able to charge a small admission fee at the Renewable Energy Roundup in Fredericksburg and still got a good turnout. Maybe we need to check with them to get some ideas.

      Yeah, that was what we've been struggling with.  We've put together a budget and have found that we can keep it free if we go with sponsors, food sales, and booth fees.  Of course, we're shooting for sponsors we can be proud of (or at least not recoil from), but I guess we'll have to see how our fundraising goes.  One thing we've decided on, however, is that it will be titled "Houston Earth Day" (we're not selling the title rights to a sponsor).  So it might be Houston Earth Day, sponsored by Company Name, but it won't be another Company Name Earth Day.  Thanks for the advice.

      Ryan
    • JOHN GARDNER
      Message 90 of 90 , Jan 20, 2006
        I have accepted to be at the Woodlands event on April 8.
        John Gardner

        Michael Ewert <mewert@...> wrote:
        Looking ahead to Earth Day, I’d like to get an idea how many of you will be willing to help staff an HREG booth at one event or other.  I’m sure we will have many opportunities and I don’t want to accept more than we can handle.  Please let me know if you would like to staff the specific request below or if you would like to sign up tentatively to staff another Earth Day event.  Most will be on Saturdays in April.  Please e-mail me at mewert@....  Thank you.