RE: [hreg] Energytech Conference

  • Claude Foster
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 17, 2001
      The newly enacted Texas Energy Conservation Bill (my name for SB5) will be
      making significant impact on our community. We look at this conference as
      industry and bankers looking for ways to make money as a result of the Texas
      legislative action

      This bill addresses three major areas:

      DIESEL EMISSIONS REDUCTION INCENTIVE PROGRAM (DERIP)
      This section requires the commission to establish and administer a program
      to provide grant for projects to offset the incremental cost of projects
      that reduce emissions of oxides of nitrogen (NOx) from high-emitting diesel
      sources in non-attainment areas and affected counties of the state. Note
      Houston is a non-attainment area.

      TEXAS EMISSIONS REDUCTION PLAN (TERP)
      This section requires the Public Utilities Commission (PUC) to establish and
      administer the TERP according to the stipulations of the bill. The PUC is
      required to develop an efficiency grant program that will include retirement
      of materials and appliances that contribute to peak energy demand to ensure
      the reduction of energy demand, peak loads and associated emission of air
      pollutants.

      TEXAS BUILDING ENERGY PERFORMANCE STANDARDS (IRC & IECC)
      This section establishes the International Residential Code as the standard
      for single family residential construction and the International Energy
      Conservation Code for other residential, commercial and industrial
      construction.

      We are excited that all new construction (except school districts) will be
      scrutinized for energy conservation in Texas.

      Please give your accolades to our Senator Brown. I understand that he is not
      going to run for re-election in the Texas Senate next term but this bill is
      an outstanding contribution to healthier environment

      My company does not have much to do with the first two points but we are
      actively introducing the newly adopted energy efficiency codes in our
      engineering services and designs.

      G'day

    • Steven Shepard
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 17, 2001
        Senator Brown is also the man who vetoed out of committee the possibility of
        establishing a Trinity Aquifer Water District that would have allowed us to
        protect the slim resources of the Trinity Aquifer set from being drained,
        exploited and ruined by large municipalities like San Antonio and Austin.
        He quashed this proposal because it could have potentially provided some
        protection to rural Texas residents from unwanted municipal annexation and
        taxation.

        Since Senator Brown's action it has been open season on the Trinity and the
        City of San Antonio has obtained multiple wells on the Trinity set and at
        this time has the ability to drain these wells and these aquifers beyond
        their recovery rate. If San Antonio takes this action it will leave
        potentially thousands of rural Texas residents without water.

        Thanks to Senator Brown there is no state agency, law or regulation that can
        stop the most ignorant municipal government in the state from bullying
        individual citizens and taking one of the most important resources they
        have - water. The only recourse left to the individual citizen and resident
        is to file a civil lawsuit where the citizen would have to bear the burden
        of proof that it is the City's consumption that disables their well.

        Add this issue to other issues like city utilities ruining the air quality
        and taking property owners by conquest through annexation this citizen has
        to ask the question - just who are the terrorists here in Texas? As the old
        saying goes, "As long as the Texas legislature is in session, no one is
        safe."

        Oh, thank you Senator Brown.

        SBT Designs
        25840 IH-10 West #1
        Boerne, Texas 78006
        210-698-7109
        FAX: 210-698-7147
        www.sbtdesigns.com

      • ChasMauch@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 17, 2001
          Wasn't Sen. Brown also involved in some sort of sexual abuse scandal involving his secretary or some other member of his staff? That may also have had an impact on his decision not to run for re-election.
          Charlie