Re: [hreg] Energytech Conference

  • OLafleur@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 16, 2001
      Fortunately the group at TSU was able to attend as guests of TXU electricity.  We really could not afford the registration fee. This event was really not specifically about renewable energy but more focus on introducing products and services that can save time and money for companies involved in electricity generation, regardless of the source. But of course you know who dominated (fossil fuel companies). One thing I can say is that they spared no cost on the food, drinks and entertainment. Everything was top class.  "Go big fossil fuel industry"!

      Oral LaFleur
    • Claude Foster
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 17, 2001
        The newly enacted Texas Energy Conservation Bill (my name for SB5) will be
        making significant impact on our community. We look at this conference as
        industry and bankers looking for ways to make money as a result of the Texas
        legislative action

        This bill addresses three major areas:

        DIESEL EMISSIONS REDUCTION INCENTIVE PROGRAM (DERIP)
        This section requires the commission to establish and administer a program
        to provide grant for projects to offset the incremental cost of projects
        that reduce emissions of oxides of nitrogen (NOx) from high-emitting diesel
        sources in non-attainment areas and affected counties of the state. Note
        Houston is a non-attainment area.

        TEXAS EMISSIONS REDUCTION PLAN (TERP)
        This section requires the Public Utilities Commission (PUC) to establish and
        administer the TERP according to the stipulations of the bill. The PUC is
        required to develop an efficiency grant program that will include retirement
        of materials and appliances that contribute to peak energy demand to ensure
        the reduction of energy demand, peak loads and associated emission of air
        pollutants.

        TEXAS BUILDING ENERGY PERFORMANCE STANDARDS (IRC & IECC)
        This section establishes the International Residential Code as the standard
        for single family residential construction and the International Energy
        Conservation Code for other residential, commercial and industrial
        construction.

        We are excited that all new construction (except school districts) will be
        scrutinized for energy conservation in Texas.

        Please give your accolades to our Senator Brown. I understand that he is not
        going to run for re-election in the Texas Senate next term but this bill is
        an outstanding contribution to healthier environment

        My company does not have much to do with the first two points but we are
        actively introducing the newly adopted energy efficiency codes in our
        engineering services and designs.

        G'day

      • Steven Shepard
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 17, 2001
          Senator Brown is also the man who vetoed out of committee the possibility of
          establishing a Trinity Aquifer Water District that would have allowed us to
          protect the slim resources of the Trinity Aquifer set from being drained,
          exploited and ruined by large municipalities like San Antonio and Austin.
          He quashed this proposal because it could have potentially provided some
          protection to rural Texas residents from unwanted municipal annexation and
          taxation.

          Since Senator Brown's action it has been open season on the Trinity and the
          City of San Antonio has obtained multiple wells on the Trinity set and at
          this time has the ability to drain these wells and these aquifers beyond
          their recovery rate. If San Antonio takes this action it will leave
          potentially thousands of rural Texas residents without water.

          Thanks to Senator Brown there is no state agency, law or regulation that can
          stop the most ignorant municipal government in the state from bullying
          individual citizens and taking one of the most important resources they
          have - water. The only recourse left to the individual citizen and resident
          is to file a civil lawsuit where the citizen would have to bear the burden
          of proof that it is the City's consumption that disables their well.

          Add this issue to other issues like city utilities ruining the air quality
          and taking property owners by conquest through annexation this citizen has
          to ask the question - just who are the terrorists here in Texas? As the old
          saying goes, "As long as the Texas legislature is in session, no one is
          safe."

          Oh, thank you Senator Brown.

          SBT Designs
          25840 IH-10 West #1
          Boerne, Texas 78006
          210-698-7109
          FAX: 210-698-7147
          www.sbtdesigns.com

        • ChasMauch@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 17, 2001
            Wasn't Sen. Brown also involved in some sort of sexual abuse scandal involving his secretary or some other member of his staff? That may also have had an impact on his decision not to run for re-election.
            Charlie