Re: [hreg] Energytech Conference

  • Steven Shepard
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 16, 2001
      5.
      THE YELLOW HAZE OF TEXAS
      A plan to cut air pollution dramatically in Houston by 2007 was
      approved by the U.S. EPA yesterday. If successful, the plan will
      bring the city into compliance with the federal Clean Air Act for the
      first time. The plan lowers speed limits, mandates stricter vehicle
      exhaust testing, and calls for a 90 percent decrease in industrial
      nitrogen oxide emissions, among other measures. Regional EPA
      Administrator Gregg Cooke praised it as "the most innovative and
      technically advanced air plan ever devised," but some environmental
      groups expressed doubt that the plan would succeed in cleaning up the
      city's notoriously icky air. Houston surpassed Los Angeles as the
      smoggiest city in the U.S. in 1999 and 2000, and will probably come
      in a close second this year.

      straight to the source: Houston Chronicle, Tony Freemantle, 16 Oct 2001
      <http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/front/1090584>

      SBT Designs
      25840 IH-10 West #1
      Boerne, Texas 78006
      210-698-7109
      FAX: 210-698-7147
      www.sbtdesigns.com
    • OLafleur@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 16, 2001
        Fortunately the group at TSU was able to attend as guests of TXU electricity.  We really could not afford the registration fee. This event was really not specifically about renewable energy but more focus on introducing products and services that can save time and money for companies involved in electricity generation, regardless of the source. But of course you know who dominated (fossil fuel companies). One thing I can say is that they spared no cost on the food, drinks and entertainment. Everything was top class.  "Go big fossil fuel industry"!

        Oral LaFleur
      • Claude Foster
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 17, 2001
          The newly enacted Texas Energy Conservation Bill (my name for SB5) will be
          making significant impact on our community. We look at this conference as
          industry and bankers looking for ways to make money as a result of the Texas
          legislative action

          This bill addresses three major areas:

          DIESEL EMISSIONS REDUCTION INCENTIVE PROGRAM (DERIP)
          This section requires the commission to establish and administer a program
          to provide grant for projects to offset the incremental cost of projects
          that reduce emissions of oxides of nitrogen (NOx) from high-emitting diesel
          sources in non-attainment areas and affected counties of the state. Note
          Houston is a non-attainment area.

          TEXAS EMISSIONS REDUCTION PLAN (TERP)
          This section requires the Public Utilities Commission (PUC) to establish and
          administer the TERP according to the stipulations of the bill. The PUC is
          required to develop an efficiency grant program that will include retirement
          of materials and appliances that contribute to peak energy demand to ensure
          the reduction of energy demand, peak loads and associated emission of air
          pollutants.

          TEXAS BUILDING ENERGY PERFORMANCE STANDARDS (IRC & IECC)
          This section establishes the International Residential Code as the standard
          for single family residential construction and the International Energy
          Conservation Code for other residential, commercial and industrial
          construction.

          We are excited that all new construction (except school districts) will be
          scrutinized for energy conservation in Texas.

          Please give your accolades to our Senator Brown. I understand that he is not
          going to run for re-election in the Texas Senate next term but this bill is
          an outstanding contribution to healthier environment

          My company does not have much to do with the first two points but we are
          actively introducing the newly adopted energy efficiency codes in our
          engineering services and designs.

          G'day

        • Steven Shepard
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 17, 2001
            Senator Brown is also the man who vetoed out of committee the possibility of
            establishing a Trinity Aquifer Water District that would have allowed us to
            protect the slim resources of the Trinity Aquifer set from being drained,
            exploited and ruined by large municipalities like San Antonio and Austin.
            He quashed this proposal because it could have potentially provided some
            protection to rural Texas residents from unwanted municipal annexation and
            taxation.

            Since Senator Brown's action it has been open season on the Trinity and the
            City of San Antonio has obtained multiple wells on the Trinity set and at
            this time has the ability to drain these wells and these aquifers beyond
            their recovery rate. If San Antonio takes this action it will leave
            potentially thousands of rural Texas residents without water.

            Thanks to Senator Brown there is no state agency, law or regulation that can
            stop the most ignorant municipal government in the state from bullying
            individual citizens and taking one of the most important resources they
            have - water. The only recourse left to the individual citizen and resident
            is to file a civil lawsuit where the citizen would have to bear the burden
            of proof that it is the City's consumption that disables their well.

            Add this issue to other issues like city utilities ruining the air quality
            and taking property owners by conquest through annexation this citizen has
            to ask the question - just who are the terrorists here in Texas? As the old
            saying goes, "As long as the Texas legislature is in session, no one is
            safe."

            Oh, thank you Senator Brown.

            SBT Designs
            25840 IH-10 West #1
            Boerne, Texas 78006
            210-698-7109
            FAX: 210-698-7147
            www.sbtdesigns.com

          • ChasMauch@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 17, 2001
              Wasn't Sen. Brown also involved in some sort of sexual abuse scandal involving his secretary or some other member of his staff? That may also have had an impact on his decision not to run for re-election.
              Charlie