Energytech Conference

  • Kathryn Houser
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 8, 2001
      I am forwarding this message to you folks in Houston just for your
      information--no endorsement implied--but it may be of interest to some
      of you.

      Kathryn

      Presented by Strategic Research Institute
      in conjunction with Power Mart '01
      http://www.srinstitute.com/cx389
      Date: October 16-17, 2001
      Venue: George R. Brown Convention Center - Houston, Texas
      Featured: distributed generation, wind, solar PV, biomass, geothermal,
      fuel
      cells, coalbed methane, oil, gas and B2B, software and eBusiness
      solutions
      for energy

      Luncheon Keynote!!!
      Arthur Levitt Jr., Former Chairman, Securities and Exchange Commission
      Conference Highlights include:
      * Utilize emerging energy technologies that are generating
      new
      revenue streams
      * Leverage the value you've created and maintain success
      once
      public
      * Find ways to work with regulatory issues that have
      impact on
      profitability
      * Transform the energy industry through B2B, eBusiness
      Investments and IT
      * Identify and assess if the technology has a strong,
      rapidly
      growing and sustainable market
      * Explore the methods for total integration - Combinations

      with the most promise for long-term returns
      .
      Network with prominent investors and industry decision-makers while
      learning
      about the new ideas and innovative strategies in the power tech
      industry.
      Presenting firms include:
      Arthur Andersen LLP, BC International, Capital Resource Partners,
      Chevron
      Energy Solutions, CIT Corporation, CO2e.com, LLC (Cantor Fitzgerald
      subsidiary), Conoco Inc., DTE Energy, EMATS, Inc., EnerTech Capital,
      Enron,
      Ernst & Young Corporate Finance Inc., Grant Thornton, Honeywell, Morgan
      Stanley Dean Witter, Natsource,
      RDI Consulting/Financial Times Energy, Scott Madden Associates, Standard
      and
      Poor Corporation, Texaco Energy Systems, UpstreamInfo, Zilkha Renewable
      Energy

      For full agenda and more info, please visit:
      http://www.srinstitute.com/cx389 or call +1 646-336-7030 (or
      888-666-8514
      inside of the US and Canada) or <mailto:ipakoys@...>
      Please mention priority code DEM001055 when registering.

      Thank you very much

      Ilana Pakoys
      Marketing Manager
      Strategic Research Institute
      ipakoys@...
      212-967-0095 X272
      www.srinstitute.com
    • Lafleur, Oral
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 16, 2001
        Hey Kathryn!

        This event is perfect for the students in the renewable energy program at
        TSU. Thanks a bunch. We are about to leave right at this moment.

        Oral LaFleur

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 16, 2001
          It looked too rich for us at $995 minimum registration fee. Who can afford
          it?

          Claude

        • Steven Shepard
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 16, 2001
            5.
            THE YELLOW HAZE OF TEXAS
            A plan to cut air pollution dramatically in Houston by 2007 was
            approved by the U.S. EPA yesterday. If successful, the plan will
            bring the city into compliance with the federal Clean Air Act for the
            first time. The plan lowers speed limits, mandates stricter vehicle
            exhaust testing, and calls for a 90 percent decrease in industrial
            nitrogen oxide emissions, among other measures. Regional EPA
            Administrator Gregg Cooke praised it as "the most innovative and
            technically advanced air plan ever devised," but some environmental
            groups expressed doubt that the plan would succeed in cleaning up the
            city's notoriously icky air. Houston surpassed Los Angeles as the
            smoggiest city in the U.S. in 1999 and 2000, and will probably come
            in a close second this year.

            straight to the source: Houston Chronicle, Tony Freemantle, 16 Oct 2001
            <http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/front/1090584>

            SBT Designs
            25840 IH-10 West #1
            Boerne, Texas 78006
            210-698-7109
            FAX: 210-698-7147
            www.sbtdesigns.com
          • OLafleur@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 16, 2001
              Fortunately the group at TSU was able to attend as guests of TXU electricity.  We really could not afford the registration fee. This event was really not specifically about renewable energy but more focus on introducing products and services that can save time and money for companies involved in electricity generation, regardless of the source. But of course you know who dominated (fossil fuel companies). One thing I can say is that they spared no cost on the food, drinks and entertainment. Everything was top class.  "Go big fossil fuel industry"!

              Oral LaFleur
            • Claude Foster
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 17, 2001
                The newly enacted Texas Energy Conservation Bill (my name for SB5) will be
                making significant impact on our community. We look at this conference as
                industry and bankers looking for ways to make money as a result of the Texas
                legislative action

                This bill addresses three major areas:

                DIESEL EMISSIONS REDUCTION INCENTIVE PROGRAM (DERIP)
                This section requires the commission to establish and administer a program
                to provide grant for projects to offset the incremental cost of projects
                that reduce emissions of oxides of nitrogen (NOx) from high-emitting diesel
                sources in non-attainment areas and affected counties of the state. Note
                Houston is a non-attainment area.

                TEXAS EMISSIONS REDUCTION PLAN (TERP)
                This section requires the Public Utilities Commission (PUC) to establish and
                administer the TERP according to the stipulations of the bill. The PUC is
                required to develop an efficiency grant program that will include retirement
                of materials and appliances that contribute to peak energy demand to ensure
                the reduction of energy demand, peak loads and associated emission of air
                pollutants.

                TEXAS BUILDING ENERGY PERFORMANCE STANDARDS (IRC & IECC)
                This section establishes the International Residential Code as the standard
                for single family residential construction and the International Energy
                Conservation Code for other residential, commercial and industrial
                construction.

                We are excited that all new construction (except school districts) will be
                scrutinized for energy conservation in Texas.

                Please give your accolades to our Senator Brown. I understand that he is not
                going to run for re-election in the Texas Senate next term but this bill is
                an outstanding contribution to healthier environment

                My company does not have much to do with the first two points but we are
                actively introducing the newly adopted energy efficiency codes in our
                engineering services and designs.

                G'day

              • Steven Shepard
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 17, 2001
                  Senator Brown is also the man who vetoed out of committee the possibility of
                  establishing a Trinity Aquifer Water District that would have allowed us to
                  protect the slim resources of the Trinity Aquifer set from being drained,
                  exploited and ruined by large municipalities like San Antonio and Austin.
                  He quashed this proposal because it could have potentially provided some
                  protection to rural Texas residents from unwanted municipal annexation and
                  taxation.

                  Since Senator Brown's action it has been open season on the Trinity and the
                  City of San Antonio has obtained multiple wells on the Trinity set and at
                  this time has the ability to drain these wells and these aquifers beyond
                  their recovery rate. If San Antonio takes this action it will leave
                  potentially thousands of rural Texas residents without water.

                  Thanks to Senator Brown there is no state agency, law or regulation that can
                  stop the most ignorant municipal government in the state from bullying
                  individual citizens and taking one of the most important resources they
                  have - water. The only recourse left to the individual citizen and resident
                  is to file a civil lawsuit where the citizen would have to bear the burden
                  of proof that it is the City's consumption that disables their well.

                  Add this issue to other issues like city utilities ruining the air quality
                  and taking property owners by conquest through annexation this citizen has
                  to ask the question - just who are the terrorists here in Texas? As the old
                  saying goes, "As long as the Texas legislature is in session, no one is
                  safe."

                  Oh, thank you Senator Brown.

                  SBT Designs
                  25840 IH-10 West #1
                  Boerne, Texas 78006
                  210-698-7109
                  FAX: 210-698-7147
                  www.sbtdesigns.com

                • ChasMauch@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 17, 2001
                    Wasn't Sen. Brown also involved in some sort of sexual abuse scandal involving his secretary or some other member of his staff? That may also have had an impact on his decision not to run for re-election.
                    Charlie