Re: [hreg] America Under Attack

  • William M. Bell, Jr.
    Message 1 of 27 , Sep 27, 2001
      Jonathan:

      It is comments like yours that alienate many who support solar, wind and
      renewable energy, but who are conservative politically and morally. By doing
      so, you are limiting the base of support for renewables to only those
      persons who support renewables for the same reason that you do. Your
      reference to "conservative right wing corporate types who already
      (literally) own the media - TV, newspapers, and magazines." is out of line.
      I believe that it is also naive to believe that conservatives do not love
      the environment and that they control the media.

      As I have said before, I will say again: Keep your political jabs to
      yourself. Keep this discussion group on the issues.

      Message 2 of 27 , Sep 30, 2001
        Mr. Bell,

        I am puzzled as to why anyone would be alienated (as you say) by my comments.
        My commentary is in response to someone (Mr. Foster) wishing to unilaterally
        restrict commentary on this HREG list. I have insisted that no such
        objections and limitations should apply to this list.

        You have presumed quite a bit in your latest comments. You have
        re-interpretted and ascribed my commentary as "political jabs". Do you
        really think that my comments were political jabs?

        My reference to "conservative right wing corporate types who already
        (literally) own the media" was part of a conditional if-then clause. If you
        prefer to take such a comment out of context (a context relating to unfair
        restrictions on the list), too bad, for it would be you who might be
        alienating the conservatives on this list.

        You presume that I am attacking ("jab"ing) conservatives (who also love the
        environment). I have been on this list for over two years and have never
        been accused of mistreating or dishonoring those with conservative
        viewpoints. There are conservatives who own media publications and there are
        those who do not. Correct me if I am wrong - Westinghouse, General Electric,
        and Disney own the three major TV networks - CBS, NBC, and ABC. Murdoch owns
        Fox TV. Time Warner owns CNN. These owners are corporations. Their sole
        purpose is to make profits for the shareholders. They all do a lot of
        advertising for other corporations. I personally believe that large
        corporations are typically conservative, since liberal or opposing
        philosophies usually mean cuts into their profits. I also know Westinghouse
        and GE have long time vested interests in the nuclear and electricity
        generating business.

        A fair question might be - have these corporations controlled or filtered, or
        attempted to control or filter the content of their programs on the networks?
        Mmm. I would wonder why Public TV exists, if not for the concern that the
        public may not be afforded their just due (programs covering the interests of
        the public realm) by Private TV. The fact is, these corporations CAN, by
        virtue of their board or directors and self-appointed management, dictate any
        viewpoints they want. I would not wish to get into all that on this list.
        Suffice it to say, we have guidelines and common decency for all to follow
        here, but do not have overriding power to bias the conversations in favor of
        one viewpoint over another.

        Thank you for expressing your opinions. I have faith that your intentions
        are good and that you have a certain understanding of what I said or what I
        meant to say. I only ask (of everyone on the list) that everyone be allowed
        to clarify their positions, as I have done here, if viewpoints seen
        contentious or improper.

        Jonathan Clemens