Re: [hreg] America Under Attack

  • mike
    Message 1 of 27 , Sep 19, 2001
      Thanks Ryan, I fully agree with you.
      Let's keep the personal attacks off the list.

      Mike

      Message 2 of 27 , Sep 19, 2001
        Bridget,

        I saw the Barlow article too and was dismayed to see how much really bad and misleading misinformation he was putting out. It's always good to write a letter to the editor but the odds are that it won't be published. However, there is something else you can do that is pretty quick and easy and is equally effective - maybe more so.

        You may have noticed that all the Chronicle columnists include their email address at the end of their column (even the nationally syndicated ones) and lately I have started sending emails to them directly when I am really upset (or even thanking them when I see something really good). They definitely read it (I suspect they don't get much mail since most people don't bother) and quite often they respond, occasionally in depth.

        I have written to Barlow 5 or 6 times and he always responds - we are almost pen pals. Sometimes (I suspect when they are out of ideas for their column) they devote a column to responding to the letters they receive and he has used part of my letter in two different columns (but of course he does not use my name). I took him severely to task about globalization (he is very much in favor of it, and I am not) and one or two other things, and occasionally send just a short comment such as "Come on, Jim - be fair. You must know you're not being objective here."

        I think it's something we all should get in the habit of doing. Often we can actually help educate them - I think most of them are fair if they have the facts. I try to tell them something they might not know and present arguments they may not have heard. I think this kind of thing can have a real impact, and in any case it's a way of letting off steam in a constructive way.

        Charlie
      • mike
        Message 3 of 27 , Sep 20, 2001
          Diane,

          I appreciate all the hard work you and Jonathan have put into promoting
          clean renewable energy.
          I think you should be commended for you efforts!
          I certainly wouldn't want to live near a nuclear plant or dump.

          I hope Claude will keep his personal attacks to himself in the future.

          mike

          Message 4 of 27 , Sep 20, 2001
            I fully agree with the idea of keeping personal attacks of this list.
            At the same time, let me say that I've appreciated Claude's past efforts
            to inject a little science into the discussions, and while there are
            certainly disagreements in our society, and even among scientists and
            engineers, about the safety and usefulness of nuclear energy and its place
            in our energy future, I hope that this discussion group doesn't adopt a
            "group think" mentality that rejects opinions and arguments that differ
            from some group orthodoxy.

            The arguments against nuclear power are in many cases arguments against
            forms of nuclear power that would no longer be practiced had the technology
            been pursued/developed more vigorously over the past couple decades instead
            of attacked. I think Claude was trying to make the point--albeit not as
            tactfully as he might have, especially considering all the Diane and
            Jonathan
            have contributed to HREG and this discussion group--that we do in fact live
            off nuclear power (from the sun) and that there is no such thing as complete
            recycling or sustainability in our entropically increasing universe. There
            certainly is no such thing as conservation of atoms, if one accounts for
            fusion processes occuring in the sun and other stars. Fission processes
            occur as well, Jonathan, over time, and these are in fact used for
            radiometric
            dating.

            Attacks against nuclear power may have been well-founded, but at the same
            time
            now we have global warming. Which is worse? Manage nuclear waste over the
            next 1000 years or so, or destroy the climate that sustains life? I'm not
            arguing for one solution or the other, but if one is not willing to shut
            down the economy and lifestyles to reduce carbon fuels drastically (as
            America
            obviously is not--I'm talking about the public here, not HREG), then a
            stop-gap
            technology is needed to sustain us until we have an efficient and viable
            solar-
            based energy supply (PV, thermal, biomass, wind, etc.). I think Claude is
            not being unfair to argue that nuclear can serve as part of that stop-gap
            just
            as well as coal or gas, and in some ways better (and other ways worse).

            For those who are interested in solar and other renewable technologies per
            se,
            and not necessarily all the environmentalist, anti-nuclear, etc. baggage
            that
            goes with it, some e-mails of a propaganda nature that have been forwarded
            via
            this listserv get a bit tiresome, and I suspect Claude was reacting to that,
            since several were posted over the past weeks. Maybe I'm not reading this
            right, but that's my take on it.

            Peace to all,

            Robert Johnston

            Message 5 of 27 , Sep 21, 2001
              I am basically anti-nuke for all the usual reasons, but we have always heard very little about the really scary aspect of it. I have wondered for years about a nuclear power plant's exposure to terrorism. They don't need to smuggle in nuclear bombs -- we have obligingly scattered dozens of them all around the country. There are at least two in Texas that I know of -- South Texas and Comanche Peak. This always seemed like a remote and unlikely worry in the past but suddenly it seems much more real.

              How hard would it be for a terrorist to enter (or even strike from an airplane a la the WTC disaster) and create a really horrendous event? All they need to do is disable or destroy the cooling water pumps, let the reactor core overheat and melt down and -- instant Chernobyl. I don't know much about the detailed operation but most of it is readily available in the public literature and would be much easier to learn than flying an airliner.

              Charlie
            • Claude Foster
              Message 6 of 27 , Sep 21, 2001
                Charlie,

                The nuclear cycle in the power plants that I worked in were designed to
                withstand a direct impact of a high speed bomb carrier (kamikaze) or
                commercial airliner without disrupting the system.

                Claude

                Message 7 of 27 , Sep 21, 2001
                  Claude,

                  They might withstand an explosion but I assume that somewhere there is a switch that turns off the pumps. Most safety controls are capable of being overridden. Are you saying that the plants are terrorist proof and that a knowledgeable person could not deliberately bring on a disaster? If so this is one of the few industrial operations that is 100% fail safe. I have worked in refineries and I guarantee I could cause a disaster there in a number of very simple ways. Hopefully the nukes are safer but somehow I doubt it.

                  Charlie
                • Foster, Robert
                  Message 8 of 27 , Sep 21, 2001
                    The WTC was also designed to withstand the impact of a jumbo jet (and
                    indeed it did). However, just like the WTC, I think the potential
                    for the ensuing fire in a nuclear power plant from thousands of
                    gallons of jet fuel could very likely disrupt the system and be
                    devastating. Likewise, there's always potential for a terrorist
                    attack from the inside as well that deliberately overrides safety
                    systems. There are no absolutes or ironclad guarantees.

                    Robert

                    >Charlie,
                    >
                    >The nuclear cycle in the power plants that I worked in were designed to
                    >withstand a direct impact of a high speed bomb carrier (kamikaze) or
                    >commercial airliner without disrupting the system.
                    >
                    >Claude

                  • Charles L. Seaman
                    Message 9 of 27 , Sep 21, 2001

                      ----------
                      >From: Claude Foster <ccfoster@...>
                      >To: "'hreg@yahoogroups.com'" <hreg@yahoogroups.com>
                      >Subject: RE: [hreg] America Under Attack
                      >Date: Fri, Sep 21, 2001, 7:34 AM
                      >

                      > Charlie,
                      >
                      > The nuclear cycle in the power plants that I worked in were designed to
                      > withstand a direct impact of a high speed bomb carrier (kamikaze) or
                      > commercial airliner without disrupting the system.
                      >
                      > Claude

                    • dans1
                      Message 10 of 27 , Sep 21, 2001
                        I think I would be more concerend about a grrop of terrorist's ruthlessly
                        murdering the security personal and then taking over the plant and then
                        causing it to malfunction from the inside, than from an air attack. The
                        military is now aware of thier tactics and have all military jets now have
                        standing orders to shoot down any airliner that deviates from it's flight
                        plan. And I can tell you from personal knowledge that no airline flight
                        plan take it over a Nuclear plant.

                        So internal sabotage is a more likely possibility and as we have seen that
                        these people have no regard for human life, so they could easily just drive
                        up to the security guards and the blow them away without any thought to it.
                        Once they do that, then they could take over the plant anf do thier worst.
                        Remember these security guards are not trained to think that everyone that
                        comes up to the gates is a potential terrorist. I would feel much safer to
                        have Marines guarding them, as they would shoot first and then ask questions
                        later.

                        Maybe it's time to try to get one or several congressmen to sponser a bill
                        that mandates that all new home construction must use CF lighting and some
                        sort of grant would be provided for installing a solar (PV) system as it
                        house was being built.

                        Personally I would love to see all new city, state and federal government
                        building construction have a requirement that it must be operated via (PV)
                        systems. Talk about the amount of Fossil fuels that would be saved by not
                        having to generate electricty for all those buildings.

                        Just adding my 2 cents to the conversation.

                        Dan

                        Message 11 of 27 , Sep 25, 2001
                          FYI:
                          I copied this from grist.
                          OF FUEL RODS AND LIGHTNING RODS
                          Even before the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center and
                          Pentagon, government inspectors had found security to be inadequate
                          at the U.S.'s 103 nuclear plants. From 1991 to 2000, nearly half of
                          the 68 plants tested showed "a potential vulnerability" to
                          terrorists. Now, the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission has reversed
                          claims it made right after the attacks that the plants would be
                          capable of withstanding the impact of commercial airplane crashes.
                          Enviros are criticizing the NRC for continuing to back a
                          self-policing security program by plant operators, rather than
                          imposing a stricter security regime.

                          straight to the source: Los Angeles Times, Deborah Schoch, 22 Sep 2001
                          <http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-000075976sep22.
                          story?coll=la%2Dnews%Da%5Fs>

                          straight to the source: Chicago Tribune, Jeff Long, 23 Sep 2001
                          <http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-0109230042sep23.story>

                          Message 12 of 27 , Sep 25, 2001
                            What is the name of this site? What is the purpose of this forum?

                            Administrator: please help us focus on development of renewable energy in
                            the Houston area.

                            It seems to me that tirades on preservation of whales, zebras, locusts, etc.
                            are some items of personal interest that should be addressed in another
                            forum. Anti nuclear bombast are also misdirected, imho, to this site.

                            This is not to mean that we do not agree on some subjects such as the
                            security and safety of our nation. This is just not the correct place to
                            discuss them.

                            Claude

                          • jclem412@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 27 , Sep 26, 2001
                            • jclem412@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 27 , Sep 26, 2001
                                objections from the HREG list, I say that a discussion group about renewable
                                energy is absolutely proper in discussing the costs of existing forms of
                                energy production. And the direct and indirect costs of nuclear energy,
                                including from waste products or terrorists attacks, fall under the scrutiny
                                of this group.

                                Subsidies of conventional energy sources have been a formidable barrier to
                                incorporation of RE and alternative energy technologies. If we can not talk
                                about the unfair practices (of
                                lobbied-for-special-interest-gained-tax-breaks-and-direct-government-spending-

                                on-fossil-fuel-and-nuclear-energy), then we have, in effect, sold out to the
                                conservative right wing corporate types who already (literally) own the media
                                - TV, newspapers, and magazines. Please note how the Bush/Cheney Energy Plan
                                supports advancing nuclear energy storage capability. Mmmm, that means
                                subsidization, and that means RE is treated unfairly.

                                I can not help but think that so many tragic and pitiful events are allowed
                                to occur in this world because not enough voices are heard from the
                                tax-paying-and-ruled-to-death citizens. There will be NO restriction to what
                                is discussed on this list, as long as discussion is not vulgar, personally
                                attacking, or intended merely to inflame.

                                Jonathan

                                (NOTE, the last transmission was inadvertently sent without my comments. We
                                have had problems with the use of the mouse and the Reply button in our
                                e-mail.)
                              • William M. Bell, Jr.
                                Message 15 of 27 , Sep 27, 2001
                                  Jonathan:

                                  It is comments like yours that alienate many who support solar, wind and
                                  renewable energy, but who are conservative politically and morally. By doing
                                  so, you are limiting the base of support for renewables to only those
                                  persons who support renewables for the same reason that you do. Your
                                  reference to "conservative right wing corporate types who already
                                  (literally) own the media - TV, newspapers, and magazines." is out of line.
                                  I believe that it is also naive to believe that conservatives do not love
                                  the environment and that they control the media.

                                  As I have said before, I will say again: Keep your political jabs to
                                  yourself. Keep this discussion group on the issues.

                                • jclem412@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Sep 30, 2001
                                    Mr. Bell,

                                    I am puzzled as to why anyone would be alienated (as you say) by my comments.
                                    My commentary is in response to someone (Mr. Foster) wishing to unilaterally
                                    restrict commentary on this HREG list. I have insisted that no such
                                    objections and limitations should apply to this list.

                                    You have presumed quite a bit in your latest comments. You have
                                    re-interpretted and ascribed my commentary as "political jabs". Do you
                                    really think that my comments were political jabs?

                                    My reference to "conservative right wing corporate types who already
                                    (literally) own the media" was part of a conditional if-then clause. If you
                                    prefer to take such a comment out of context (a context relating to unfair
                                    restrictions on the list), too bad, for it would be you who might be
                                    alienating the conservatives on this list.

                                    You presume that I am attacking ("jab"ing) conservatives (who also love the
                                    environment). I have been on this list for over two years and have never
                                    been accused of mistreating or dishonoring those with conservative
                                    viewpoints. There are conservatives who own media publications and there are
                                    those who do not. Correct me if I am wrong - Westinghouse, General Electric,
                                    and Disney own the three major TV networks - CBS, NBC, and ABC. Murdoch owns
                                    Fox TV. Time Warner owns CNN. These owners are corporations. Their sole
                                    purpose is to make profits for the shareholders. They all do a lot of
                                    advertising for other corporations. I personally believe that large
                                    corporations are typically conservative, since liberal or opposing
                                    philosophies usually mean cuts into their profits. I also know Westinghouse
                                    and GE have long time vested interests in the nuclear and electricity
                                    generating business.

                                    A fair question might be - have these corporations controlled or filtered, or
                                    attempted to control or filter the content of their programs on the networks?
                                    Mmm. I would wonder why Public TV exists, if not for the concern that the
                                    public may not be afforded their just due (programs covering the interests of
                                    the public realm) by Private TV. The fact is, these corporations CAN, by
                                    virtue of their board or directors and self-appointed management, dictate any
                                    viewpoints they want. I would not wish to get into all that on this list.
                                    Suffice it to say, we have guidelines and common decency for all to follow
                                    here, but do not have overriding power to bias the conversations in favor of
                                    one viewpoint over another.

                                    Thank you for expressing your opinions. I have faith that your intentions
                                    are good and that you have a certain understanding of what I said or what I
                                    meant to say. I only ask (of everyone on the list) that everyone be allowed
                                    to clarify their positions, as I have done here, if viewpoints seen
                                    contentious or improper.

                                    Jonathan Clemens