The NEW Sustainability

  • Ristroph
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 18, 2001
      I agree with David. Some steps to consider:

      1. Don't bail out the airlines, but help them to downsize.
      Industries dependent on business travel and tourism
      should have been preparing for something like this,
      and adjusting for the customers who demand security.
      If airlines come into consideration as a public service,
      and not corporations, then I can see this getting into
      another cycle of regulate, de-regulate, privatize,
      nationalize, just like the phone companies and power
      companies. Let the free market work. Nobody ever
      promised that it would never hurt.

      2. Re-think the vulnerable aspects of our society: huge
      centralized energy production and distribution facilties,
      for example. Same for food and water production and
      distribution.

      3. Re-think New Urbanism. Consider moving your
      company/business to a small town.

      4. Encourage electronic meetings. Even congress could
      meet electronically.

      I am aware that there is probably not going to be a great
      rush out of high rises and cities, mainly because the
      infrastructure is already there and it seems a waste. Also
      because it would seem unpatriotic right now. But if you
      are interested in the long haul, your decisions need to
      consider what is sustainable in the new post-9-11-01
      society. -- Marie
      Spring Creek Watershed Initiative
      Marie Gibbens Ristroph
      33819 Cripple Creek Road
      Pinehurst, TX 77362
      (281) 356-7397 or mobile/voice mail (281) 467-4255
      ris@...