The NEW Sustainability
- I agree with David. Some steps to consider:
1. Don't bail out the airlines, but help them to downsize.
Industries dependent on business travel and tourism
should have been preparing for something like this,
and adjusting for the customers who demand security.
If airlines come into consideration as a public service,
and not corporations, then I can see this getting into
another cycle of regulate, de-regulate, privatize,
nationalize, just like the phone companies and power
companies. Let the free market work. Nobody ever
promised that it would never hurt.
2. Re-think the vulnerable aspects of our society: huge
centralized energy production and distribution facilties,
for example. Same for food and water production and
3. Re-think New Urbanism. Consider moving your
company/business to a small town.
4. Encourage electronic meetings. Even congress could
I am aware that there is probably not going to be a great
rush out of high rises and cities, mainly because the
infrastructure is already there and it seems a waste. Also
because it would seem unpatriotic right now. But if you
are interested in the long haul, your decisions need to
consider what is sustainable in the new post-9-11-01
society. -- Marie
Spring Creek Watershed Initiative
Marie Gibbens Ristroph
33819 Cripple Creek Road
Pinehurst, TX 77362
(281) 356-7397 or mobile/voice mail (281) 467-4255