STOP APPROVAL OF "GE FISH". (part 1 ).

  • Enviro Alert
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31 10:25 PM
      STOP APPROVAL OF "GE FISH" INSANITY !

      (PART 1 )

      PLEASE TELL FDA TO STOP APPROVAL OF "GE FISH"

      On May 9, 2001, the Center for Food Safety and a coalition of over
      60 petitioners, consisting of consumer and environmental protection
      organizations filed legal petitions with the U.S. Food and Drug
      Administration ("FDA"), U.S. Department of Interior ("DOI"),
      U.S. Department of Commerce ("DOC"), U.S. Department of Defense
      ("DOD"), and U.S. Department of Agriculture ("USDA") demanding a
      moratorium on the domestic marketing and importation of transgenic fish
      until FDA adequately addresses the impacts to the environment and
      human food safety.

      Currently, there are over thirty-five species of transgenic fish being
      developed around the world and at least one company, A/F Protein,
      which is presently requesting approval from the FDA to market
      transgenic fish to consumers as "FOOD" .

      These transgenic fish grow as much as TEN TO THIRTY Times faster
      than normal salmon! The releases of transgenic fish into the world's
      waters may cause SIGNIFICANT IMPACTS to the ENVIRONMENT
      & ENDANGERED SPECIES !. New studies have shown that transgenic
      fish are more aggressive, eat more food, and will attract more mates than
      wild fish. In addition, these studies show that although transgenic fish
      will attract more mates, their offspring will be less fit and less likely
      to survive.

      As a result, scientists predict that transgenic fish will CAUSE SOME
      SPECIES TO BECOME EXTINCT within only a few generations. Once
      one species becomes extinct, other species will likely be affected. There
      are already 114 species of fish, including Atlantic salmon that are listed
      under the Endangered Species Act ("ESA"). Allowing transgenic fish
      in ocean pens may significantly increase this number of listed species.

      While no federal laws specifically govern the regulation of genetically
      engineered animals grown for human consumption, the FDA has made
      the informal decision to regulate transgenic fish under its authority to
      review new animal drugs. Given the potential toxicity, allergenicity,
      and aquaculture diseases posed by the commercialization of transgenic
      fish, we must demand FDA to stop any approval of this GE Fish .

      Also please review What did your U.S. Congressman(House)
      vote on the "Delay FDA Approval of Genetically Engineered fish" ?
      Click here: (Ayes: means to Delay the approval of GE fish.)
      (Noes: means to accelerate the approval of GE fish.)

      http://clerkweb.house.gov/cgi-bin/vote.exe?year=2001&rollnumber=218

      WHAT YOU CAN DO :

      Enclosed a SAMPLE LETTER and all of CONTACT INFORMATION .

      PLEASE SEND YOUR IMPORTANT "PUBLIC COMMENTS" NOW !

      SAMPLE LETTER : (note: you may write your own letter or
      change a few wording in this sample letter if you wish. thanks.)

      @ PLEASE DO NOT FORGET TO PLACE DOCKET NO
      AT THE BEGINING OF YOUR LETTER !

      FDA Commissioner
      5630 Fishers Lane
      Room 1061 (HFA-305)
      Rockville, MD 20852

      RE: Docket No. # 01P-0230

      Dear Commissioner,

      I am writing you to express my serious concerns about the FDA's role in
      approving the commercial use of transgenic fish. Given the potential
      human health and environmental uncertainties posed by genetically
      engineered fish, I urge you to reject any application seeking the use and
      marketing of transgenic fish. I strongly urge you to keep the GE Fish
      off all of the commercial markets and prohibit any importation of such
      GE fish.

      I am quite concerned about the potential impacts of these fish upon my
      Health. Genetically engineered fish (GE fish) are new to the human food
      supply and present unknown risks to human health, including the potential
      impacts of significantly elevated growth hormone levels in these fish.
      37 people died, 1500 were partially paralyzed, and 5000 more were
      temporarily disabled by a syndrome that was finally linked to
      tryptophan made by genetically-engineered bacteria.

      The FDA's failure to require toxicological testing for these fish
      suggests that the agency's review process is favoring the biotech
      industry and not acting to ensure my and other millions upon millions
      of consumers safety.

      Moreover, the commercialization of these genetically engineered
      fish poses the potential for irreversible damage to the environment.
      Fish farms throughout history have repeatedly demonstrated that
      fish kept in ocean and freshwater pens escape from their
      confinements.

      There are compelling scientific studies documenting the potential for
      escaped genetically engineered fish to become invasive species that
      could cause permanent ecological damage to wild fish stocks as well
      as the wider marine environment. These new studies have shown that
      transgenic fish are more aggressive, eat more food, and will attract
      more mates than wild fish. The studies also show that although
      transgenic fish will attract more mates, their offspring will be less fit
      and less likely to survive. As a result, scientists predict that
      transgenic fish may cause some species to become EXTINCT within
      only a few generations. When one species becomes extinct, other
      species will likely be affected. Far more animals will be abused for
      corporate profits and more species will go extinct .

      For example, pollen from transgenic plants can cross-pollinate with
      genetically natural crops and wild relatives. All crops, organic and
      non-organic, are vulnerable to contamination from cross-pollinatation.
      It threatens Our Entire Food Supply .

      There are already 114 species of fish, including the Atlantic salmon
      that are listed under the Endangered Species Act. The FDA should
      Not promote the introduction of another threat to our endangered
      fisheries.

      For these reasons, I strongly urge FDA to fully review the significant
      human health and environmental risks posed by genetically engineered
      fish. Therefore, the approval of any GE salmon and other GE fish
      at this time is totally unacceptable! I fully support a permanent
      moratorium on the commercialization of any kind of transgenic fish.

      Again, please keep the GE Fish off all of the commercial markets
      permanently . Thank you .

      Sincerely yours,

      Your Name,
      Your Address,
      City, State, Zip
      U.S. Constituent(s).(if you live in USA )

      P.S. : Important references :
      http://www.safe-food.org/-issue/dangers.html
      http://www.centerforfoodsafety.org/gefish/index.html#Articles
      http://www.centerforfoodsafety.org/gefish/index.html

      (**** Letter ends here *****)

      CONTACT INFORMATION :

      1: The most important is to write to: FDA Commissioner,
      Do Not forget to put the " Docket NO. 01P-0230 "
      at the beginning of your letter :

      FDA Commissioner
      5630 Fishers Lane
      Room 1061 (HFA-305)
      Rockville, MD 20852
      U.S.A.

      2: Please also send a similar letter to President Bush and
      CC to First Lady Laura Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney
      and Mrs. Cheney and cabinet members :

      President Bush :
      Email : president@... (@... )
      (Address to : Dear Mr. President , )

      Then Copy the following address and paste to CC field.
      Note: it must have comma between addresses.
      Please remove the "(@.....)" at the end of each address before
      you pasted them to your BCC field :

      first.lady@... , (@..., )
      vice.president@... , (@..., )
      mrs.cheney@... , (@...,)
      DEvans@..., (@..., )
      whitman.christine@..., (@..., )
      ann.veneman@... , (@..., )
      Gale_Norton@... , (@..., )
      AskDOJ@... , (@..., )

      3: CALL/WRITE to Secretary of Health and Human Services,
      (Address to: Dear Honorable Secretary Tommy G. Thompson )

      PLEASE CALL SECRETARY OF HEALTH NOW :

      Tel: 202-690-7000 (in USA)
      Fax: 202-690-7203 (in USA )
      Address:
      200 Independence Ave., S.W.
      Room 615-F
      Washington, DC 20201
      U.S.A.

      4: Send a FAX to Surgeon General ,
      David Satcher M.D., Ph.D.
      Fax : 202-690-6960
      (Address to : Dear Surgeon General, )

      5: Also it is important to write to :
      Executive Staff Analyst to the Secretary, Jolinda Gaither
      E-mail: jgaither@... (@... )
      (Address to : Dear Ms.Gaither )

      @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

      Note :
      If you have further questions on the issue, please contact :
      Juliana Jones , Grassroots Coordinator
      The Center for Food Safety
      660 Pennsylvania Ave., SE , Suite 302
      Washington, DC 20003
      Tel: 202-547-9359 (in USA )
      Fax: 202-547-9429 (in USA )

      Thanks so much for your caring, compassion and urgent help.