[hreg] Re: HREG summary

  • mike.ewert@att.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 8, 1999
      Thanks for the encouragement from the state level.
      Regarding your question, this doesn't exactly apply
      to the whole state, but many of our members have
      asked "what practical renewable energy things can I
      do (to my house) in Houston?". Some of the experts
      in Austin could help us answer this question and I'm
      sure some things apply no matter where you live in
      the state. Speakers or fact sheets or even e-mail
      messages could be used. "Product reviews" might be
      another way to look at it.
      > mike.ewert@... wrote:
      >
      > > Hello all,

      > > We would like to pursue at least an unofficial
      > > affiliation with the Texas Solar Energy Society
      > > (TXSES), acting as their local group. We will
      > > encourage, but not require, members of HREG to join
      > > TXSES. At present, HREG has no plans for dues. TXSES
      > > has annual dues of $25.

      > It's really nice to see you guys getting going.
      >
      > I am interested in figuring out ways to boost the whole
      > Texas renewables scene. I think something that makes
      > sense is to figure out how TXSES can do statewide things
      > that help local RE groups (I would also like to see REACT,
      > the unofficial Austin area RE group take on most of the
      > local Austin activities).
      >
      > What sorts of things do you Houston folks think TXSES
      > could do that would make it worth joining?
      >
      > Ideas...
      > - regular newsletter of state activities
      > - prepared materials (like the fact sheets)?
      > - coordinate speakers, state events
      > - prepared programs (probably more of a repository
      > than a source)
      > - RE Library
      >
      > Please comment!
      >
      > Thanks.
      >
      > --
      > Chuck Wright
      > http://home.earthlink.net/~chucklesw

      > eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/hreg

    • Chuck Wright
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 8, 1999
        mike.ewert@... wrote:

        > Thanks for the encouragement from the state level.
        > Regarding your question, this doesn't exactly apply
        > to the whole state, but many of our members have
        > asked "what practical renewable energy things can I
        > do (to my house) in Houston?". Some of the experts
        > in Austin could help us answer this question and I'm
        > sure some things apply no matter where you live in
        > the state.

        This is an interesting question, Mike. I have several
        thoughts:

        Anyone, feel free to ask any questions, and I will try
        to connect you with people for answers.

        Part of the basis of "green building" is responsiveness
        to the local climate. An optimal design in Austin might
        not be best for Houston, and of course, El Paso would
        be quite different. You folks have Leonard Bachman,
        who is quite expert on passive solar and on the local
        climate. And, he's taught workshops, too. I would be
        most interested in knowing more about how Houston
        design would be different.

        There are quite a few PV installations around here,
        and alot of information to be had. But, you folks
        probably have the same around Houston.

        I have done some "renewable" things to my house:

        - My solar water heater is very effective (how good are
        they in Houston? Are particular designs more suitable
        for Houston (how often and hard does it freeze?).
        By the way, Gary Vliet has taught some workshops
        on such things.
        - I bought a new refrigerator which uses about a third
        of the electricity of the old one.
        - I also installed a setback thermostat.
        - Also, have done some shading of windows, as I have
        become very interested in heat gain effects from diffuse
        solar radiation.

        I don't know what's responsible for most of the savings,
        but my electricity usage has declined considerably.

        > Speakers or fact sheets or even e-mail
        > messages could be used. "Product reviews" might be
        > another way to look at it.

        Take a look at my personal web page for stuff that I have
        written up. One item is test results of the "PowerPlanner"
        device that you may have seen at Home Depot, claiming to
        save lots of energy on motor-driven appliances (it doesn't).

        At the TXSES board meeting yesterday, we agreed that
        we would like to consider you folks to be a "chapter", if
        you agree. There are no obligations. I think we can offer you
        some space on the TXSES web page (http://www.txses.org -
        check out what we do with EPSEA, who actually have more
        stuff than TXSES), which needs some updates (to be done
        soon).

        - C

        http://home.earthlink.net/~chucklesw
      • JClem412@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 25, 1999
          I would like to volunteer as a respresentative to Austin. Jonthan Clemens