Radical promise of solar

  • dbswann4
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 30 8:12 AM
      Informative video about the new business model that distributed generation offers. At minute 6:45, a statement is made about the traditional utilities business model " the less electricity you sell, the more money you are going to make". That comment caught my attention.

      New Video: Birthing the Solar Age

    • J P Malone
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 30 8:30 AM

        Thanks.  Short informative video.  I am I correct in understanding that Houston & Harris County will not allow residences to sell back into the grid at this time?

        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 30 10:20 AM
             Thanks for asking. I asked Juan Garza, in the Centerpoint office for registering solar, about the smart meters - document link below.
             I have solar, and looked at the display - it showed consumption and DG (distributed generation). In Houston, we choose who is our energy provider. See www.powertochoose.com. The value of solar is the same as what you pay, provided you do not turn the meter backwards. If you have solar and turn the meter backwards, then the value is dependent upon your energy provider. Green Mountain will credit your account by what you feed back to the grid, at full value up to 500kWh per month. There may be other energy providers that offer the same. So here is the difference between Green Mountain and Reliant, for example. Suppose that a PV system size was such that you generated what you use over a years time. If your provider is GM, then your energy bill would be zero. (Except for other charges that are not consumption related). If your provider is Reliant - where there is no agreement to credit for DG, your electricity bill would not be credited by the amount generated to turn the meter backwards. This could be significant, especially if your system wanted to turn the meter backwards frequently.

          On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 10:30 AM, 'J P Malone' JPMALONE@... [hreg] <hreg@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          Thanks.  Short informative video.  I am I correct in understanding that Houston & Harris County will not allow residences to sell back into the grid at this time?

          Informative video about the new business model that distributed generation offers. At minute 6:45, a statement is made about the traditional utilities business model " the less electricity you sell, the more money you are going to make". That comment caught my attention.

          New Video: Birthing the Solar Age

          image

          --
          Thanks, Bill S
          Ph 832-338-3080
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 30 10:32 AM
            Greetings,
            For those of us on cooperative power, they don't want us to send power on the grid.  No two way meters, no rolling it back, no credits.  Sad, Texas was supposed to have a law making possible, but it has too many exemptions.
            Kim Travis
            The Rose Colored Forest
            Bedias, Texas

              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 30 12:04 PM
                Greetings,
                It hasn't, it just means I will disconnect from the grid as soon as I can.  But, I am leaving the poles in, just in case they get with it before I need to replace my battery bank.  I would prefer to use the grid as a battery, but if they won't let me......
                Kim Travis
                The Rose Colored Forest
                Bedias, Texas

                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 30 12:04 PM
                  Actually reliant and green mountain are both owned by NRG and have the same buy back agreement at full retail price up to a limit.   What you said is true of most providers but reliant is actually one of the good guys in this regard as is NRG in whole.

                  Russell Warren
                  Graybar Electric
                  281-217-1563

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 30 6:12 PM
                    I can not find, at the Reliant website, info about the buyback plan. Nor can I find it at the PowerToChoose website
                    Is there a link to the plan at Reliant?
                  • Russell Warren
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 30 6:32 PM

                      Here is the details.

                      I can not find, at the Reliant website, info about the buyback plan. Nor can I find it at the PowerToChoose website
                      Is there a link to the plan at Reliant?

                    • Kent Seuser