solar roadways

  • Kim Travis
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 5 4:02 AM

      I just got this link from my permaculture tutor, it looks great. A real
      vision for the future, but I would love to hear what the curmudgeons on
      the list think.

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlTA3rnpgzU

      --
      Kim Travis
      The Rose Colored Forest
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 5 8:10 AM

        This curmudgeon thinks it’s way too expensive and not nearly durable enough to handle real highway loads

        It would be much cheaper to simply cover the roadway with PV modules

        They tell a good story, but none of it really makes any sense to me, we don’t need solar roadways to bury our transmission lines

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 5 2:55 PM
          My first reaction to the concept was negative too, but after watching their recent video, I think it may at least have some niche applications where all the features are combined. They should at least install one at EPCOT!
          Mike

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 6 1:00 AM

            Hello Everyone,

            This is a great idea whose time has come, provided only two conditions are met:  (1) The energy returned by these panels is greater than the energy expenses of building, maintaining, and replacing the panels while maintaining the stockpiles of materials employed in their construction and maintenance at a steady-state by aggressive recycling without otherwise deteriorating the environment, and (2) the economic and monetary system of the nation is completely changed so as to accommodate a steady economy with no growth in economic activity or population after shrinkage to an optimum size within  the carrying capacity of Earth.   Probably, such an economy could no longer tolerate private profit, which seems to be a maladaptive legacy of our evolutionary past – but nearly impossible to dispense with (as required by Dematerialism).

            Regrettably, no technology is as yet capable of an ERoEI* in excess of 1.0 as discussed at http://eroei.net/eroeistar.htm and in my net energy blog at http://eroei.blogspot.com the posts of which should be read in the order discussed in the Table of Contents.  Such a road would increase the use of fossil fuels rather than reduce it.  This is not to say that solar energy and solar energy research should not be supported because it should – nay must – be supported.  Secondly, no one with a large public audience is discussing population and economic shrinkage.  See, for example, http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/may/27/if-we-cant-change-economic-system-our-number-is-up   If this technology could supply three times our current energy budget, in the present-day economy, economic growth of only 3.5% would lead to an economy for which this energy was inadequate in only forty years - even if conservation could reduce the average energy needed for particular tasks by 25%.  Even more aggressive conservation would only succeed to delay the inevitable.

            Thomas Wayburn, PhD in chemical engineering

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 6 3:35 AM

              While they do make some overblown comments, such as clean water as if the roads were the only cause of water pollution, they do have a place.  I can see businesses that are energy hogs like amusement parks using them.

              The test they show is with a small tractor, I would love to see what an 18 wheeler would do to it.  But, if it works, the reason for the transmission line being in the road is that is where the power is generated.  I would love to loose the propane to electric plant we have in our county, they are wrecking our aquifer by dumping hot water back in it and growing all kinds of nasty bacteria.

              --
              Kim Travis
              The Rose Colored Forest