San Antonio Mayor picked for cabinet

  • Violeta Archer
    Message 1 of 6 , May 19, 2014
      Folks,

      This may seem mostly San Antonio news, but I suspect Mr. Castro was picked because of the progress the city has made (under his tutelage) with its solar farm array. His post in the cabinet will be as the director of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).

      My 2 cent prediction?
      We'll most probably see private multifamily units finally adopting on-site renewable energy solutions (nationwide) as they see the savings gained on the public housing side.

      And this would be a welcome development for many apartment dwellers. It's a BIG question we often get.

      Best regards,

      Violeta Archer
      HREG president

    • Alyssa Burgin
      Message 2 of 6 , May 19, 2014
        Well, as a native San Antonian and long-time resident, I would like to think that, but actually, it seems to be a political decision based on his suitability for national elected office in the near-to-not-so-near future.

        I would have to say that Solar San Antonio has had more to do with San Antonio's rise to prominence on the national solar scene than Julian's leadership, even though I'm a personal friend. I just attended a fundraiser/gala for Solar San Antonio last week, and I continue to be amazed at the coalition of big business, banking, politics and environmentalists who are making San Antonio's success possible. And besides, former mayor (and former Peace Corps Assistant director) Phil Hardberger got this ball rolling from the city side.

        Alyssa Burgin

        --
        Alyssa Burgin
        Executive Director

        16306 Buena Tierra
        San Antonio, Texas 78232
        210-381-4021
        "When the well is dry, we know the value of water."--Benjamin Franklin
      • William Swann
        Message 3 of 6 , May 20, 2014
            On the subject of solar in Houston, there is interest coming from the Mayor's office, in promoting a 30 mega watt solar farm. From a technical perspective, there are 2 factors that make solar harder. Namely, that Houston gets 15 % less insolation, on an annual basis, and also that the design wind speed requirements are higher. This means more steel in a solar farm panel support structure.
             On the plus side, Houston's economy is vibrant, and I am sure there are engineering firms and weld shops that could make it happen.

          On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 12:04 AM, Alyssa Burgin aburgin4peace@... [hreg] <hreg@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[...]

          Thanks, Bill S
          Ph 832-338-3080
          www.watt-tracker.com
          www.promotingevs.com
        • dbswann4
          Message 4 of 6 , May 20, 2014
            15 % less solar insolation than San Antonio, that is.
          • Jim Duncan
            Message 5 of 6 , May 20, 2014

              The actual average irradiance in San Antonio is only about 11% higher than Houston.

              See the totals for all of Texas here: http://rredc.nrel.gov/solar/pubs/redbook/

              Jim Duncan

              North Texas Renewable Energy Inc

              www.ntrei.com

              NABCEP PV 031310-57

              TECL-27398

              ntrei@...

              817.917.0527

              15 % less solar insolation than San Antonio, that is.

            • jtuckergeo
              Message 6 of 6 , May 20, 2014
                Hopefully a knowledgeable person at HUD will help promote PV Distributed Generation.