vertical Lux wind turbine

  • mkewert
    Message 1 of 2 , May 11, 2014
      I don't know all the drawbacks vertical wind turbines have had in the past, but this company seems to have a pretty good case for their design.

    • Kevin Conlin
      Message 2 of 2 , May 15, 2014

        Hi Mike,

        As the resident curmudgeon, I have to weigh in…

        1)    Their statement that wind is more expensive than conventional generation is patently false, utility scale wind is less expensive

        2)    There is much less wind at ground level than found at the hub of a typical horizontal axis turbine, therefore, much less energy is produced

        3)    Turbulence at ground level can be very bad, usually resulting in  premature turbine failure.

        4)    Vertical axis turbines will always be less efficient that horizontal axis for the simple reason that the blades of a HAWT are always moving in the same direction, whereas vertical axis blades are moving against the wind 50% of the time

        So, a less efficient design, operating at lower wind speeds in a turbulent zone is not a good combination, in my opinion….