Our relationship with TREIA

  • Violeta Archer
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 17, 2014
      Goodmorning Everyone!

      After explaining the banking/financing situation, I now want to explain the following. . .

      HREG is a 501 c (3) non-profit organization with the mission of educating the public and promoting renewable energy technologies. We are a platform for renewable energy businesses to have visibility and a voice within the Houston metro marketplace. We are the local chapter for the Texas Solar Energy Society (TXSES), which is a member of the American Solar Energy Society (ASES) in Colorado. We educate and promote via community outreach, lectures, workshops, training, information dissemination, events, etc. In addition to facilitating renewable energy adoption rates, one of our goals is to create annual scholarships to encourage students to pursue renewable energy studies and to retain talent in the renewable energy fields. We meet students who yearn for renewable energy careers but choose other energy paths to make a living. We also have members who work in the fossil fuels industries, who are seeking to transition to renewable energy careers. But HREG was not established as a lobbying organization and does not lobby.

      The Texas Renewable Energy Industries Association (TREIA) is a 501 c (6) non-profit organization that was established to lobby (repeat, lobby) on behalf of renewable  energy businesses. They are the official state chapter for the Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA), and for obvious reasons TREIA's office is located in Austin. Here is their website:   http://www.treia.org/what-is-treia

      We collaborate with TREIA on non-lobbying initiatives, and they keep us informed of legislation and policies. Although they do not have a presence in Houston, they would LOVE to. Houston is a large, wealthy metropolitan city (now ranked #3 surpassing Chicago as of July 2013) and *the* energy hub. They could use big financial supporters from this area to execute their lobbying initiatives. But as you know, Houston has always been home to the fossil fuels companies.

      So although we are not in the business of lobbying, we do support our partner and sister organization's efforts. TREIA sees our organization as a springboard for recruiting folks for their initiatives. There's nothing wrong with that since I think you would agree that we would ALL benefit from favorable policies. Should anyone be inclined to join and/or support TREIA in their lobbying and fundraising efforts, please feel free to contact them directly.  The executive director, Mr. Russel Smith, would be welcome the opportunity to discuss strategies for Houston (I've copied him here).

      Russel Smith
      Tel: (512) 345-5446
      Email: RSmith@...

      Finally, we are elated with the mayor's initiative to create a renewable energy plant, and we do have a collaborative relationship with the mayor's office. Please remember, that, unlike other cities, we're operating in a deregulated market and the mayor's office isn't immune to market conditions. The odds haven't been in our favor, but we are making inroads . . .slowly, but surely.

      With gratitude,

      Violeta Archer
      HREG President
      (832) 375-5929