[hreg] Re: Environmental News of the Day from CEC

  • Ewert, Mike
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 6, 2000
      Charlie,

      Good luck with your campaign. I'm sorry you won't be able to make the
      meeting today.

      Did the CEC accept our name as "Houston Renewable Energy Group - local
      chapter of the Texas Solar Energy Society"?

      Date: 00-01-17 17:51:39 EST
      From: alison.dodson@... (CEC)
      To: chasmauch@... ('chasmauch@...')

      In Today's News:
      1. PUBLIC MEETING ON AIR QUALITY
      2. DEDICATION OF KATY PRAIRIE WILDLIFE VIEWING PLATFORM
      3. DOE RELEASES MILLION SOLAR ROOFS SOLICITATION
      4. RECYCLE USED/EMPTY INK-JET CARTRIDGES FOR $1 EACH
      5. REI GRANT APPLICATIONS NOW ONLINE

      **************************
      PUBLIC MEETING ON AIR QUALITY

      Mothers for Clean Air is sponsoring a public meeting to answer the question
      "Why is Houston's Air so Bad?" on Thursday, February 24, at 6:30 p.m. Three
      speakers from state and local agencies will trace the history of and
      contributions to air pollution in the Houston area, and discuss what Los
      Angeles has done to clean their air and what we can do about our air
      pollution. The meeting will take place at Emerson Unitarian Church, 1900
      Bering Drive, one block west of Chimney Rock between Westheimer and San
      Felipe. Refreshments will be served.

      The program will start with Bryan Lambeth, meteorologist for the Texas
      Natural Resource Conservation Commission (TNRCC) in Austin, who will
      discuss air pollution trends and the contribution of weather to air
      quality. Dewayne Huckabay, from the City of Houston, will then talk about
      how Los Angeles has been successful in cleaning their air. The last
      speaker, Tom "Smitty" Smith of Public Citizen, Austin, will tell us what we
      can do as individuals to influence our elected officials and policy makers
      to clean up our air. Following the presentation, questions from the
      audience will be addressed.
      **************************
      DEDICATION OF KATY PRAIRIE WILDLIFE VIEWING PLATFORM

      Sierra Club is seeking assistancewith the official dedication of the
      wildlife viewing platform on the Katy Prairie! This is the viewing
      platform that Sierra Club helped fund and execute. The Katy Prairie
      Conservancy is hosting this 'open house' event on Saturday, Jan 29. KPC
      will be conducting tours of their property as well as birding tours. KPC
      has asked if Sierra Club can help with the set up chores in the morning.
      They primarily need help setting up tables, and helping direct people to
      parking. Volunteers need to arrive at the site by 7:30am. (event starts at
      8am). If you'd like to help, please contact Frank Blake,
      frankblake@... . The site is located on Sharp Rd., which is north of
      FM 529, and west of Hwy. 6. (Exact directions will be sent to those who
      can help).
      **************************
      ***DOE Releases Million Solar Roofs Solicitation

      DOE has released a solicitation for grants to support State and Local
      Million Solar Roof Partnerships in FY 2000. Applications are due to the DOE
      Golden Field Office on February 1, 2000. The goal of the solicitation is to
      assist Million Solar Roofs Initiative State and Local Partnerships in
      developing and implementing programs to further the use of solar energy on
      buildings. Subject to the availability of funds, DOE anticipates making
      multiple awards for a total of $500,000 in Fiscal Year 2000 as a result of
      the solicitation. DOE will fund up to $50,000 per project. Copies of the
      solicitation are available on-line at
      http://www.eren.doe.gov/golden/solicitations.html.

      To learn about climate change, check out EPA's website at
      www.epa.gov/globalwarming. The site has a wealth of information on the
      climate system; greenhouse gas emissions; impacts of climate change; and
      actions that can be taken at the national, state, local, business, and
      individual levels.

      **************************
      RECYCLE USED/EMPTY INK-JET CARTRIDGES FOR $1 EACH

      Our Earth Group will pick up once a month from offices or you can drop off
      used cartridges at the Central Branch Library on the weekends. Interested?
      Call 281-933-3287 or 713-506-7402 and start recycling today! For more
      information, visit the website www.freeyellow.com/members6/ourearth/
      **************************
      REI GRANT APPLICATIONS NOW ONLINE

      In 1999, REI gave more than $923,000 to conservation projects and outdoor
      recreation programs across the country, along with "expedition grants" of
      REI gear to members. Now the guidelines and application forms are online,
      along with descriptions of some of the grants they awarded this year.
      http://www.rei.com/gearmail/giving.html
      **************************
      The Environmental News of the Day is a free service provided by the
      Citizens' Environmental Coalition (CEC). Send add/remove requests to
      issues@.... Visit our website at http://www.cechouston.org

      email by ebase(tm) v1.00. mailto:info@..., http://www.ebase.org
      #000000000-1849-[]. Registered to ebase.

      For the fastest and easiest way to backup your files and, access them from
      anywhere. Try @backup Free for 30 days. Click here for a chance to win a
      digital camera.
      http://click.egroups.com/1/337/0/_/58590/_/948150256/

      eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/hreg/