Re: [hreg] Re: San Antonio's Solar Farm Update

  • William Swann
    Message 1 of 6 , May 10, 2013
      I assume your comment above, about chillers, is driven by the need to choose technologies that have the quickest payoff. I heard that Centerpoint is a large land owner, in all the easements for high voltage power lines. Given the fact that part of a large scale solar farm is the acquisition of the land, give CP  an incentive to install a couple of mega watts of trackers, in these unused areas.

      On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 9:18 AM, Kent Seuser <kcseuser@...> wrote:

      James,
      Would it be more prudent to focus on solar concentrating collectors to operate commercial chillers since over50% of all electricity in houston is used for Ac.  Also doesn't Austin energy sell excess chilled water to downtown residence within a certain area of blocks?
      Kent

      Sent from my iPhone

      On May 9, 2013, at 5:57 PM, James Cargas <jcargas@...> wrote:

      This is a huge difference.
      CPS is
      the utility serving San Antonio.

      Houston is a deregulated market where price controls and the person who owns the generation is no longer the same person who transports it or sells it. San Antonio is still a regulated monopoly that can control the entire supply chain and spread any higher incremental solar costs over all of its rate payers.  This does not make it impossible.  It is just that comparing Houston to San Antonio is not an apples to apples comparison at any level.

      James Cargas
      Message 2 of 6 , May 11, 2013
        James,
        Yes.  Roi is fast w thermal solar.  In houston the greatest obstacle to grid tied solar is the number of shade events.
        Kent

        Sent from my iPhone