RE: [hreg] RE: Renewable Energy

  • Jim Duncan
    Message 1 of 11 , May 9, 2013

      Another quirk in REP pricing applies to churches and other non-residential customers with similar usage patterns. REPs may charge a church a price based on their highest one-time use during the entire billing period. So on an occasional day when air conditioning, lights food prep etc. are all running and cause a high peak demand point, the charge per kWh formula for the entire billing period is based on that usage rate.

      REP logic is that they must install equipment rated and supply power for that load even though usage at that rate is not constant. This argument is bogus since, for instance, your home probably has 200Amp service but you will rarely if ever even approach 100 Amps of usage.

      Kent is on the money when he points out that it’s a complex pricing structure and the REP holds all the cards. So their opposition to a DG customer is easy enough to penalize using an allowable fee just because you occasionally backfeed power. Coops are especially prone to this behavior since they are allowed to make their own bylaws with little oversight.

      My 2¢

      Jim Duncan

      Message 2 of 11 , May 9, 2013

        Our coop tried to tell us we hadn't had an increase in rates in years,
        because they just kept adding fees, not adjusting the rate. A real
        whopper if I ever heard one and a fine Texas art. However, I still
        resent paying more. I really resent them penalizing customers for
        lowering their usage. That is just plain wrong and bad for the planet.

        Bright Blessings,
        Garth & Kim Travis
        www.TheRoseColoredForest.com
        Bedias, Texas