RE: [hreg] RE: Renewable Energy

  • Robert Johnston
    Message 1 of 11 , May 8, 2013

      Thanks, Kent.  That helps a lot.  Sounds like in general home owners are asked to pay higher prices than large businesses but in return are protected from spikes and other pricing risks.

      Robert

      Message 2 of 11 , May 8, 2013
        Home Depot installs a capacitor called a kvar which reduces spikes and peaks.  This and other devices can help reduce cost.
        Kent

        Sent from my iPhone

        On May 8, 2013, at 6:21 AM, Garth & Kim Travis <gartht@...> wrote:

        Greetings,
        I am working hard to stay on a residential plan, as a business rate with
        the cooperatives is considerably higher.

        Bright Blessings,
        Garth & Kim Travis
        www.TheRoseColoredForest.com
        Bedias, Texas

        On 5/7/2013 10:17 PM, Robert Johnston wrote:
        > Kent,
        >
        > Why are business plans different than residential? I’ve always
        > wondered. I know small businesses that use similar amounts of energy as
        > my home. Why can’t we access the same plans? Sounds like you may be
        > someone who has the answer to this burning question! J
        >
        > Robert

      • Jim Duncan
        Message 3 of 11 , May 9, 2013

          Another quirk in REP pricing applies to churches and other non-residential customers with similar usage patterns. REPs may charge a church a price based on their highest one-time use during the entire billing period. So on an occasional day when air conditioning, lights food prep etc. are all running and cause a high peak demand point, the charge per kWh formula for the entire billing period is based on that usage rate.

          REP logic is that they must install equipment rated and supply power for that load even though usage at that rate is not constant. This argument is bogus since, for instance, your home probably has 200Amp service but you will rarely if ever even approach 100 Amps of usage.

          Kent is on the money when he points out that it’s a complex pricing structure and the REP holds all the cards. So their opposition to a DG customer is easy enough to penalize using an allowable fee just because you occasionally backfeed power. Coops are especially prone to this behavior since they are allowed to make their own bylaws with little oversight.

          My 2¢

          Jim Duncan

[...]

        • Garth & Kim Travis
          Message 4 of 11 , May 9, 2013

            Our coop tried to tell us we hadn't had an increase in rates in years,
            because they just kept adding fees, not adjusting the rate. A real
            whopper if I ever heard one and a fine Texas art. However, I still
            resent paying more. I really resent them penalizing customers for
            lowering their usage. That is just plain wrong and bad for the planet.