Re: [hreg] RE: Renewable Energy

  • Garth & Kim Travis
    Message 1 of 11 , May 8 4:21 AM
      I am working hard to stay on a residential plan, as a business rate with
      the cooperatives is considerably higher.

      Bright Blessings,
      Garth & Kim Travis
      www.TheRoseColoredForest.com
      Bedias, Texas

      On 5/7/2013 10:17 PM, Robert Johnston wrote:
      > Kent,
      >
      > Why are business plans different than residential? I’ve always
      > wondered. I know small businesses that use similar amounts of energy as
      > my home. Why can’t we access the same plans? Sounds like you may be
      > someone who has the answer to this burning question! J
      >
      > Robert

    • Robert Johnston
      Message 2 of 11 , May 8 4:56 AM

        Interesting.  I’ve assumed the businesses paid a lower rate; maybe that was a wrong assumption!  (It was based on about 10 year old information about a small business that I knew).

        Or is it cheaper in some of the other areas like Centerpoint?

        Robert

        I am working hard to stay on a residential plan, as a business rate with
        the cooperatives is considerably higher.

        Bright Blessings,
        Garth & Kim Travis
        www.TheRoseColoredForest.com
        Bedias, Texas

        On 5/7/2013 10:17 PM, Robert Johnston wrote:
        > Kent,
        >
        > Why are business plans different than residential? I’ve always
        > wondered. I know small businesses that use similar amounts of energy as
        > my home. Why can’t we access the same plans? Sounds like you may be
        > someone who has the answer to this burning question! J
        >
        > Robert

      • Kent Seuser
        Message 3 of 11 , May 8 5:23 AM
          Robert,
          You have asked a complex question.  Residential electricity pricing includes energy production cost (2.5 to 3 cents per kwh) distribution charge ( varies 3 to 5 cents per kwh) and rep mark up.
          Commercial electricity contracts are industry specific and vary according to rep contracts.  For example, large industry have variables such as heat factors, variance of band width, and as I mentioned earlier contract specific to allow energy production to be purchased back from the utility.  Peak usage affects business pricing and not residential.  Peak usage carries a thirteen month residual cost factor.  For instance in a machine shop you turn on all your compressors and motors at the same time, you pay 15 to 20% more for your electricity for the next 13 months.  Residential does not incur the same cost factor.
          The reality is large industries will pay less for electricity. I know of one bus in houston that pays 5.5 cents per kwh with no additional cost.
          By the way if you are a business owner, I can set you up with reps that will allow your home to be included.  The question is do you want that?  Low usage resi are also asked to pay more fees.
          Hope this helps a little
          Kent

          Sent from my iPhone

          Message 4 of 11 , May 8 5:53 AM

            Thanks, Kent.  That helps a lot.  Sounds like in general home owners are asked to pay higher prices than large businesses but in return are protected from spikes and other pricing risks.

            Message 5 of 11 , May 8 7:15 AM
              Home Depot installs a capacitor called a kvar which reduces spikes and peaks.  This and other devices can help reduce cost.
              Kent

              Sent from my iPhone

              On May 8, 2013, at 6:21 AM, Garth & Kim Travis <gartht@...> wrote:

              Greetings,
              I am working hard to stay on a residential plan, as a business rate with
              the cooperatives is considerably higher.

              Bright Blessings,
              Garth & Kim Travis
              www.TheRoseColoredForest.com
              Bedias, Texas

              On 5/7/2013 10:17 PM, Robert Johnston wrote:
              > Kent,
              >
              > Why are business plans different than residential? I’ve always
              > wondered. I know small businesses that use similar amounts of energy as
              > my home. Why can’t we access the same plans? Sounds like you may be
              > someone who has the answer to this burning question! J
              >
              > Robert

            • Jim Duncan
              Message 6 of 11 , May 9 7:00 AM

                Another quirk in REP pricing applies to churches and other non-residential customers with similar usage patterns. REPs may charge a church a price based on their highest one-time use during the entire billing period. So on an occasional day when air conditioning, lights food prep etc. are all running and cause a high peak demand point, the charge per kWh formula for the entire billing period is based on that usage rate.

                REP logic is that they must install equipment rated and supply power for that load even though usage at that rate is not constant. This argument is bogus since, for instance, your home probably has 200Amp service but you will rarely if ever even approach 100 Amps of usage.

                Kent is on the money when he points out that it’s a complex pricing structure and the REP holds all the cards. So their opposition to a DG customer is easy enough to penalize using an allowable fee just because you occasionally backfeed power. Coops are especially prone to this behavior since they are allowed to make their own bylaws with little oversight.

                My 2¢

                Jim Duncan

                Message 7 of 11 , May 9 7:51 AM

                  Our coop tried to tell us we hadn't had an increase in rates in years,
                  because they just kept adding fees, not adjusting the rate. A real
                  whopper if I ever heard one and a fine Texas art. However, I still
                  resent paying more. I really resent them penalizing customers for
                  lowering their usage. That is just plain wrong and bad for the planet.