Re: [hreg] need to reconsider beginner project

  • Kevin L. Conlin
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 10, 2001
      My suggestion for a beginner PV project in your price range would be to build a 100 - 200W PV system with 300 -400Ah battery and a 1kW sine wave inverter.  Forget trying to make money selling power to the utility, you're competing with coal. Use the system to power your computer and peripherals without worry of spikes, surges, sags or other noise, and use it in emergencies when the power goes out. Get your satisfaction by being one of the few people powering their silicon with silicon and sunlight.  (The space station being one example) There is a certain poetic beauty in capturing sunlight, filtering it through silicon, and re-emitting that energy as light on a computer screen somewhere else.  You can get local assistance and good pricing at www.sundog.org