HR2322

  • Steven Shepard
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 10, 2001
      Following is a message from Mike Bergey with Bergey Windpower concerning
      House Bill HR2322.
      Your kind attention and response is requested:

      Last week Rep. J.C. Watts, Jr (R-OK) and three other Congressmen introduced
      HR 2322, the Home and Farm Wind Energy Systems Act of 2001. HR 2322 would
      provide a 30% federal tax credit to individuals and businesses that install
      small wind energy systems (up to 75 kW) during the next ten years. The
      credit would cover both on-grid and off-grid systems. The timing of HR
      2322 is good because the U.S. House of Representatives will start preparing
      an energy bill within the next few weeks.

      In order for HR 2322 to be enacted we think we will need to generate
      hundreds of e-mails, phone calls, and letters to Congress so that we can
      build up an impressive list of Congressional co-sponsors. HR 876, the
      extension bill for the Production Tax Credit for large wind turbines, for
      example, has over 140 co-sponsors (but, they had a four month head
      start). A co-sponsor is a member of Congress that has agreed to have his
      or her name listed as a supporter of the bill.

      So, I'm asking for your help and the help of anyone else you can
      muster. Background information, the AWEA press release, a link to the bill
      language, and a mostly painless procedure for determining your
      Representative and sending him or her an e-mail message can be found
      through the Bergey Windpower home page, http://www.bergey.com Just click
      on the HR 2322 graphic at the top of the page.

      There has not been a federal tax credit for small wind systems since
      1985. I hope you will agree with me that its time the federal government
      got back in the game. Jamie Steve, AWEA's legislative Director, believes
      that we only need 3 - 10 messages or calls to a Congressional office to get
      them to co-sponsor, so by all means please call a few of your
      friends. After all, who wouldn't want a $5 a month electric bill.

      You can make a difference. AWEA and the small wind turbine industry are
      working hard as well. I think we have a real chance. Please help.

      Thanks very much,
      Mike Bergey
      Chairman, AWEA Small Wind Turbine Committee

      Submitted by:
      SBT Designs
      25840 IH-10 West #1
      Boerne, Texas 78006
      210-698-7109
      FAX: 210-698-7147
      www.sbtdesigns.com
    • Charles L. Seaman
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 11, 2001
        This is fine relative to wind energy. Let's do it.
        But let's go back to the 1970's relative to Mr. Jimmy Carter and provide Tax
        credit for insulation added to the houses where a sufficient improvement in
        conservation can be proved.(Before and after) electric bills PLUS the cost
        of the insulation receipt, etc.
        While we are at it, let us get independent about energy - hell we will have
        to borrow oil just to fight a semi large scale war for about 6 months.
        Let's leave Bush holding his oil coupons and let's start using
        Hydrogen/Oxygen fuel cells. Takes a while to develop but the only polution
        is clean water vapor that will return to the sea as rain/streams etc.
        Let's start using Heat pumps and Geo-thermal energy during the winter
        instead of each individual house having a Methane furnace where the exhaust
        gas going up the chimmy is around 350 oF. A Utility providing circulating
        water can be run both for cooling and for heating; hence a heat pump is
        needed. So many blocks of homes can be serviced by one utility heating
        station and one (the same) utility cooling tower or equivalent can be used
        for cooling. Let's get these money changer out of the loop and put some
        technical people in where they need to be.
        This will allow the remaining oil in the ground to be used for pharmicutical
        purposes.