RE: [hreg] Links to energy incentives/rebates for remodeling?

  • Scarsella, Thomas M. (JSC-IC8)[DB Consult
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 18, 2013
      I remember reading somewhere that the sodium in gypsum is a good additive to the clay-based soils that dominate much of the Houston area. Gypsum helps to bind the soil and makes some of the potassium already there available to whatever is growing.

      We removed the paper backing from some drywall we tore out at the house and "composted" the gypsum drywall. It took a few years and a few cycles through the composting process to break down thoroughly but we only occasionally find an intact "chunk" of it nowadays.

      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 18, 2013

        Good point Alyssa. The house has been sitting empty for a year now so that’s something to look out for.

        Jim

        Jim, I used to be a historical preservation contractor, with a lot of my work in Houston, and we did exactly what you describe quite often. It is the best way to gain access for new wiring and mechanical systems. But we also found that a tremendous amount of the drywall we removed had mold on the outside-facing portion, which rendered it completely unuseable for anything and frankly, severely complicated its disposal--you want to make certain you don't aerosolize the mold and spread it into the house, or particularly, into the HVAC system.

        Alyssa Burgin

        --
        Alyssa Burgin
        Executive Director

        16306 Buena Tierra
        San Antonio, Texas 78232
        210-381-4021

      • Alyssa Burgin
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 18, 2013
          Yikes. Yes, any structure in Houston that has not had temperature/humidity control could definitely present with a load of mold hidden in the walls. Be careful.

          --
          Alyssa Burgin
          Executive Director

          16306 Buena Tierra
          San Antonio, Texas 78232
          210-381-4021

        • Serhat YILMAZ
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 18, 2013
            Actually, step by step we should apply the Leed criterians for our builds. Both we save energy and money... I know This advice is little different from core subject...

            --
            Alyssa Burgin
            Executive Director

            --