Re: [hreg] Links to energy incentives/rebates for remodeling?

  • Alyssa Burgin
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 18, 2013
      Jim, I used to be a historical preservation contractor, with a lot of my work in Houston, and we did exactly what you describe quite often. It is the best way to gain access for new wiring and mechanical systems. But we also found that a tremendous amount of the drywall we removed had mold on the outside-facing portion, which rendered it completely unuseable for anything and frankly, severely complicated its disposal--you want to make certain you don't aerosolize the mold and spread it into the house, or particularly, into the HVAC system.

      Alyssa Burgin

      --
      Alyssa Burgin
      Executive Director

      16306 Buena Tierra
      San Antonio, Texas 78232
      210-381-4021

    • Ron Foster
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 18, 2013
        One that always comes to mind is a solar-powered attic fan. They are cheaper now, and you still get a 30% income tax rebate. LED lighting is another. Here's one link I found:
        http://www1.eere.energy.gov/femp/financing/eip_tx.html

        On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 9:35 AM, J P Malone <JPMALONE@...> wrote:

        I would appreciate it if anyone can send me information or links on how to get energy rebates for remodeling in Houston.  I have found a CenterPoint site.

        Any advice on energy efficient remodeling would be helpful, especially priorities in spending.

        One problem I am wrestling with is:

        How to increase/maximize the R-value of insulation of a 4 inch stud wall on the South side of a old residence, without increasing the wall thickness.

        Thanks.

        --
        Ron Foster
        Solar Panels of America LLC
        281-748-1994 Fax: 832-203-1455

      • Garth & Kim Travis
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 18, 2013
          Provided all the nails/screws are removed, it can help with acid soil.
          Also, it is good on driveways. I hate putting anything in the landfill.
          I would use it in decorative beds, not food growing areas, for obvious
          reasons. We don't know what kind of paint is on it.

          Bright Blessings,
          Garth & Kim Travis
          www.TheRoseColoredForest.com
          Bedias, Texas

          On 3/18/2013 11:10 AM, Jim Duncan wrote:
          > I’m considering pulling off sheetrock for an older rent house I own but
          > to replace the original non-compliant wiring dating back to the ‘50s. It
          > is a lot of work but insulation is definitely going to go in at the same
          > time.
          >
          > Consider upgrading, adding electrical outlets, fire breaks, window alarm
          > wiring etc while you have access.
          >
          > I also have been wondering if there is any use for recycling old
          > sheetrock other than the landfill.
          >
          > Jim Duncan

        • Scarsella, Thomas M. (JSC-IC8)[DB Consult
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 18, 2013
            I remember reading somewhere that the sodium in gypsum is a good additive to the clay-based soils that dominate much of the Houston area. Gypsum helps to bind the soil and makes some of the potassium already there available to whatever is growing.

            We removed the paper backing from some drywall we tore out at the house and "composted" the gypsum drywall. It took a few years and a few cycles through the composting process to break down thoroughly but we only occasionally find an intact "chunk" of it nowadays.

            Provided all the nails/screws are removed, it can help with acid soil.
            Also, it is good on driveways. I hate putting anything in the landfill.
            I would use it in decorative beds, not food growing areas, for obvious
            reasons. We don't know what kind of paint is on it.

            Bright Blessings,
            Garth & Kim Travis
            www.TheRoseColoredForest.com
            Bedias, Texas

            On 3/18/2013 11:10 AM, Jim Duncan wrote:
            > I'm considering pulling off sheetrock for an older rent house I own but
            > to replace the original non-compliant wiring dating back to the '50s. It
            > is a lot of work but insulation is definitely going to go in at the same
            > time.
            >
            > Consider upgrading, adding electrical outlets, fire breaks, window alarm
            > wiring etc while you have access.
            >
            > I also have been wondering if there is any use for recycling old
            > sheetrock other than the landfill.
            >
            > Jim Duncan

          • Jim Duncan
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 18, 2013

              Good point Alyssa. The house has been sitting empty for a year now so that’s something to look out for.

              Jim

              --
              Alyssa Burgin
              Executive Director

              16306 Buena Tierra
              San Antonio, Texas 78232
              210-381-4021

            • Alyssa Burgin
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 18, 2013
                Yikes. Yes, any structure in Houston that has not had temperature/humidity control could definitely present with a load of mold hidden in the walls. Be careful.

                --
                Alyssa Burgin
                Executive Director

                16306 Buena Tierra
                San Antonio, Texas 78232
                210-381-4021

              • Serhat YILMAZ
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 18, 2013
                  Actually, step by step we should apply the Leed criterians for our builds. Both we save energy and money... I know This advice is little different from core subject...

                  --
                  Alyssa Burgin
                  Executive Director

                  --