RE: [hreg] Links to energy incentives/rebates for remodeling?

  • Jim Duncan
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 18 7:51 AM

      If the house is older, and you have not already done so, sealing air leaks will make a significant difference.

      As for insulation on the south wall, it may take adding a layer of 1” Styrofoam® sheets under the existing siding.

      A lot of work there so consider some trellis growing vegetation covering the wall.

      My 2¢

      Jim Duncan

      North Texas Renewable Energy Inc

      www.ntrei.com

      NABCEP PV 031310-57

      TECL-27398

      ntrei@...

      817.917.0527

      NABCEP Logo

      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 18 8:31 AM

        One of my clients removed the sheet rock and sprayed rigid urethane foam insulation between the studs until it was flush, trimmed it, and then hung new sheet rock

        Did I mention it’s a lot of work….?

        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 18 9:10 AM

          I’m considering pulling off sheetrock for an older rent house I own but to replace the original non-compliant wiring dating back to the ‘50s. It is a lot of work but insulation is definitely going to go in at the same time.

          Consider upgrading, adding electrical outlets, fire breaks, window alarm wiring etc while you have access.

          I also have been wondering if there is any use for recycling old sheetrock other than the landfill.

          Jim Duncan

          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 18 9:19 AM
            Jim, I used to be a historical preservation contractor, with a lot of my work in Houston, and we did exactly what you describe quite often. It is the best way to gain access for new wiring and mechanical systems. But we also found that a tremendous amount of the drywall we removed had mold on the outside-facing portion, which rendered it completely unuseable for anything and frankly, severely complicated its disposal--you want to make certain you don't aerosolize the mold and spread it into the house, or particularly, into the HVAC system.

            Alyssa Burgin

            --
            Alyssa Burgin
            Executive Director

            16306 Buena Tierra
            San Antonio, Texas 78232
            210-381-4021

          • Ron Foster
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 18 9:26 AM
              One that always comes to mind is a solar-powered attic fan. They are cheaper now, and you still get a 30% income tax rebate. LED lighting is another. Here's one link I found:
              http://www1.eere.energy.gov/femp/financing/eip_tx.html

              On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 9:35 AM, J P Malone <JPMALONE@...> wrote:

              I would appreciate it if anyone can send me information or links on how to get energy rebates for remodeling in Houston.  I have found a CenterPoint site.

              Any advice on energy efficient remodeling would be helpful, especially priorities in spending.

              One problem I am wrestling with is:

              How to increase/maximize the R-value of insulation of a 4 inch stud wall on the South side of a old residence, without increasing the wall thickness.

              Thanks.

              --
              Ron Foster
              Solar Panels of America LLC
              281-748-1994 Fax: 832-203-1455

            • Garth & Kim Travis
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 18 10:52 AM
                Provided all the nails/screws are removed, it can help with acid soil.
                Also, it is good on driveways. I hate putting anything in the landfill.
                I would use it in decorative beds, not food growing areas, for obvious
                reasons. We don't know what kind of paint is on it.

                Bright Blessings,
                Garth & Kim Travis
                www.TheRoseColoredForest.com
                Bedias, Texas

                On 3/18/2013 11:10 AM, Jim Duncan wrote:
                > I’m considering pulling off sheetrock for an older rent house I own but
                > to replace the original non-compliant wiring dating back to the ‘50s. It
                > is a lot of work but insulation is definitely going to go in at the same
                > time.
                >
                > Consider upgrading, adding electrical outlets, fire breaks, window alarm
                > wiring etc while you have access.
                >
                > I also have been wondering if there is any use for recycling old
                > sheetrock other than the landfill.
                >
                > Jim Duncan

              • Scarsella, Thomas M. (JSC-IC8)[DB Consult
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 18 12:54 PM
                  I remember reading somewhere that the sodium in gypsum is a good additive to the clay-based soils that dominate much of the Houston area. Gypsum helps to bind the soil and makes some of the potassium already there available to whatever is growing.

                  We removed the paper backing from some drywall we tore out at the house and "composted" the gypsum drywall. It took a few years and a few cycles through the composting process to break down thoroughly but we only occasionally find an intact "chunk" of it nowadays.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 18 7:01 PM

                    Good point Alyssa. The house has been sitting empty for a year now so that’s something to look out for.

                    Jim

                    --
                    Alyssa Burgin
                    Executive Director

                    16306 Buena Tierra
                    San Antonio, Texas 78232
                    210-381-4021

                  • Alyssa Burgin
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 18 8:25 PM
                      Yikes. Yes, any structure in Houston that has not had temperature/humidity control could definitely present with a load of mold hidden in the walls. Be careful.

                      --
                      Alyssa Burgin
                      Executive Director

                      16306 Buena Tierra
                      San Antonio, Texas 78232
                      210-381-4021

                    • Serhat YILMAZ
                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 18 8:48 PM
                        Actually, step by step we should apply the Leed criterians for our builds. Both we save energy and money... I know This advice is little different from core subject...

                        --
                        Alyssa Burgin
                        Executive Director

                        --