Links to energy incentives/rebates for remodeling?

  • J P Malone
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 18, 2013

      I would appreciate it if anyone can send me information or links on how to get energy rebates for remodeling in Houston.  I have found a CenterPoint site.

      Any advice on energy efficient remodeling would be helpful, especially priorities in spending.

      One problem I am wrestling with is:

      How to increase/maximize the R-value of insulation of a 4 inch stud wall on the South side of a old residence, without increasing the wall thickness.

      Thanks.

    • Jim Duncan
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 18, 2013

        If the house is older, and you have not already done so, sealing air leaks will make a significant difference.

        As for insulation on the south wall, it may take adding a layer of 1” Styrofoam® sheets under the existing siding.

        A lot of work there so consider some trellis growing vegetation covering the wall.

        My 2¢

        Jim Duncan

        North Texas Renewable Energy Inc

        www.ntrei.com

        NABCEP PV 031310-57

        TECL-27398

        ntrei@...

        817.917.0527

        NABCEP Logo

        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 18, 2013

          One of my clients removed the sheet rock and sprayed rigid urethane foam insulation between the studs until it was flush, trimmed it, and then hung new sheet rock

          Did I mention it’s a lot of work….?

          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 18, 2013

            I’m considering pulling off sheetrock for an older rent house I own but to replace the original non-compliant wiring dating back to the ‘50s. It is a lot of work but insulation is definitely going to go in at the same time.

            Consider upgrading, adding electrical outlets, fire breaks, window alarm wiring etc while you have access.

            I also have been wondering if there is any use for recycling old sheetrock other than the landfill.

            Jim Duncan

            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 18, 2013
              Jim, I used to be a historical preservation contractor, with a lot of my work in Houston, and we did exactly what you describe quite often. It is the best way to gain access for new wiring and mechanical systems. But we also found that a tremendous amount of the drywall we removed had mold on the outside-facing portion, which rendered it completely unuseable for anything and frankly, severely complicated its disposal--you want to make certain you don't aerosolize the mold and spread it into the house, or particularly, into the HVAC system.

              Alyssa Burgin

              --
              Alyssa Burgin
              Executive Director

              16306 Buena Tierra
              San Antonio, Texas 78232
              210-381-4021

            • Ron Foster
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 18, 2013
                One that always comes to mind is a solar-powered attic fan. They are cheaper now, and you still get a 30% income tax rebate. LED lighting is another. Here's one link I found:
                http://www1.eere.energy.gov/femp/financing/eip_tx.html

                On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 9:35 AM, J P Malone <JPMALONE@...> wrote:

                I would appreciate it if anyone can send me information or links on how to get energy rebates for remodeling in Houston.  I have found a CenterPoint site.

                Any advice on energy efficient remodeling would be helpful, especially priorities in spending.

                One problem I am wrestling with is:

                How to increase/maximize the R-value of insulation of a 4 inch stud wall on the South side of a old residence, without increasing the wall thickness.

                Thanks.

                --
                Ron Foster
                Solar Panels of America LLC
                281-748-1994 Fax: 832-203-1455

              • Garth & Kim Travis
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 18, 2013
                  Provided all the nails/screws are removed, it can help with acid soil.
                  Also, it is good on driveways. I hate putting anything in the landfill.
                  I would use it in decorative beds, not food growing areas, for obvious
                  reasons. We don't know what kind of paint is on it.

                  Bright Blessings,
                  Garth & Kim Travis
                  www.TheRoseColoredForest.com
                  Bedias, Texas

                  On 3/18/2013 11:10 AM, Jim Duncan wrote:
                  > I’m considering pulling off sheetrock for an older rent house I own but
                  > to replace the original non-compliant wiring dating back to the ‘50s. It
                  > is a lot of work but insulation is definitely going to go in at the same
                  > time.
                  >
                  > Consider upgrading, adding electrical outlets, fire breaks, window alarm
                  > wiring etc while you have access.
                  >
                  > I also have been wondering if there is any use for recycling old
                  > sheetrock other than the landfill.
                  >
                  > Jim Duncan

                • Scarsella, Thomas M. (JSC-IC8)[DB Consult
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 18, 2013
                    I remember reading somewhere that the sodium in gypsum is a good additive to the clay-based soils that dominate much of the Houston area. Gypsum helps to bind the soil and makes some of the potassium already there available to whatever is growing.

                    We removed the paper backing from some drywall we tore out at the house and "composted" the gypsum drywall. It took a few years and a few cycles through the composting process to break down thoroughly but we only occasionally find an intact "chunk" of it nowadays.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 18, 2013

                      Good point Alyssa. The house has been sitting empty for a year now so that’s something to look out for.

                      Jim

                      --
                      Alyssa Burgin
                      Executive Director

                      16306 Buena Tierra
                      San Antonio, Texas 78232
                      210-381-4021

                    • Alyssa Burgin
                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 18, 2013
                        Yikes. Yes, any structure in Houston that has not had temperature/humidity control could definitely present with a load of mold hidden in the walls. Be careful.

                        --
                        Alyssa Burgin
                        Executive Director

                        16306 Buena Tierra
                        San Antonio, Texas 78232
                        210-381-4021

                      • Serhat YILMAZ
                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 18, 2013
                          Actually, step by step we should apply the Leed criterians for our builds. Both we save energy and money... I know This advice is little different from core subject...

                          --
                          Alyssa Burgin
                          Executive Director

                          --