More….Request to TX PUC for Solar Workshop

  • Lucy Stolzenburg
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 27, 2013
      Dear HREG again,
      Larry Howe from Plano Solar Advocates put the Butler Firm request to PUC in plan language for those of us who stumbled over the legalese.
      Lucy
      Lucy Stolzenburg
      TXSES Executive Director
      512-751-1873

      Begin forwarded message:

      From: Richard Howe <rlhowejr@...>
      Subject: Re: Request to TX PUC for Solar Workshop
      Date: February 27, 2013 5:13:33 PM CST
      To: Exeltech <exeltech@...>
      Cc: Lissa Magel <lkmagel@...>, Lucy Stolzenburg <lucy@...>

      Dan,

      I just finished reading the document, and this is my non-legal, plain language interpretation:

      *****************
      The Butler Firm is requesting that the PUC hold a specific workshop to review the potential of solar energy to provide a cost effective solution to both the near term and longer term challenges of having enough electricity in Texas during peak demand periods.  The PUC and the utility industry refer to this as "resource adequacy".

      For well over a year, the PUC has been holding hearings and workshops, but as of yet, hasn't really considered solar energy as a viable solution.  Rather, the emphasis has been on how to solve the problem using processes and technology that has been around for many decades (i.e. business as usual). Currently, the PUC is considering a plan involving "scarcity reserves" that would pay gas-fired turbine generators to have spinning reserves available in case they are needed at peak times. (This approach is currently called the GDF Suez Plan.)  A specific workshop on solar would give stakeholders and leaders in the industry a forum to create viable solutions that can attract investors and financiers to the ERCOT market and mitigate our resource adequacy risks.  The Butler Firm also requests that the workshop be held prior to the PUC taking final action on the GDF Suez Plan.

      Interested NTREG members are encouraged to help by filing comments in Texas PUC Project Docket 40000 supporting the creation of a workshop. In addition, members can visit with the PUC commissioners and staff educating them on how solar truly offers a near term solution for resource adequacy.

      *****************

      How's that?

      Regards,
      Larry Howe

      On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 4:40 PM, Exeltech <exeltech@...> wrote:
      Hello Larry,

      We'll be glad to post it.  I can make it a front-page item on our website,
      and include a link to the file.

      In the meantime, would it be possible to get an English translation for the
      less legal-minded among our members?  Perhaps just a plain-language
      summary of what the Butler Firm is attempting to accomplish, and why
      it's important to us?  I have a feeling most people are going to look at
      page 1 of this document and glaze over....

      I'll take whatever "pedestrian" text is provided to me and include it on
      the web page.

      Thanks.

      Dan

      From: Lucy Stolzenburg <lucy@...>
      Date: Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 12:50 PM
      Subject: Fwd: Request to TX PUC for Solar Workshop
      To: Richard Howe <rlhowejr@...>

      Larry,
      Just in from the Butler Firm.
      LS
      Lucy Stolzenburg
      TXSES Executive Director

      Begin forwarded message:

      From: "Clay A. Butler" <butler@...>
      Date: February 27, 2013 12:34:32 PM CST
      To: Lucy Stolzenburg <lucy@...>

      Lucy,

       Please find attached comments filed by my firm this morning with the Texas PUC in Docket 40000 (Resource Adequacy). The comments request the commissioners to establish a workshop specifically for solar. Up to this point, the solar industry has not had a forum to participate in the PUC's efforts to develop solutions to Texas' resource adequacy issues. With a workshop under a separate docket, distributed solar and utility-scale solar will have a venue to: (1) develop and submit solutions for the PUC to adopt; and (2) have a direct flow through to ERCOT with projects for ERCOT working groups.

       Our comments are the first step towards establishing a workshop. Over the next couple weeks it is critical that the industry and its supporters come together to push this through. Your organization and you can help by filing comments in Docket 40000 supporting the creation of a workshop. In addition, representatives from your organization can visit with the public utility commissioners and staff educating them on how solar truly offers a near term solution for resource adequacy.

        Please feel free to forward to your members and request support. If you would like to discuss further, please feel free to reach out to me at your convenience at 512-992-0439.

      Clay

      photo
      Clay Butler, Partner
      The Butler Firm, PLLC