Re: [hreg] Solar Plan in Austin

  • mkewert
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 10, 2013
      I'm surprised the cost of trackers is still trading well. I wonder if anyone has analyzed fixed panels pointed to produce most during utility peaks.
      Mike

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 10, 2013
        I wondered about that also. I guess the additional solar harvested was attractive. The Spanish company - ercam.es - is setting up with robotic welders to weld the trusses, upon which the panels are mounted.

        On Sunday, February 10, 2013, wrote:

        I'm surprised the cost of trackers is still trading well. I wonder if anyone has analyzed fixed panels pointed to produce most during utility peaks.
        Mike

        A study undertaken by solar proponents in Austin, concludes, and will recommend, that Austin implement 400-600 Mega Watts over the next 7 years. San Antonio has started on a project that will install 400 mega watts of trackers in 4 years. I assume tracking because the utilities need to address the cost of peak load.
        http://www.austintexas.gov/sites/default/files/files/City_Clerk/Associated_Entities/LSAC%20presentation%20FINAL%2020121115.pdf

      • Jim Duncan
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 11, 2013

          Only the price of PV has dropped significantly, not their efficiency. So have tracker prices though not nearly as dramatically as PV. And using helical screw piers rather than concrete footings on megawatt arrays has kept costs for single axis trackers low enough that they are not becoming outdated any time soon. Granted the old one drive motor per ~kW of PV is way too costly but the economies of scale have helped keep the tracker market competitive.

          Jim Duncan

          North Texas Renewable Energy Inc

          www.ntrei.com

          NABCEP PV 031310-57

          TECL-27398

          ntrei@...

          817.917.0527

          NABCEP Logo

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 11, 2013
            Hello Mr Duncan,
            I noted some trackers on your website. Are those by Wattson? I am wondering how the power is transferred from the moving part to the stationary post. Is that just a dangling chord, where cyclic bending of the conductors is minimized by a hanging chord, for lack of a better term?
            Bill S

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 11, 2013

              The 4 trackers are from Zomeworks, 2040 Watts each. 24x85Watt Spire modules. The system is one we built in 2006 south of Glen Rose.