mounting location tips

  • mike schmitt
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 7, 2001
      I apologize for all the questions but here is another...

      My two projects I'm working on are the solar water heater and hooking up my ceiling fans to a PV system.  One thing that I'm going to have to decide is how and where to mount the panels and the collector, the reason being I'm afraid that the neighborhood association is not going to allow me to mount them on the front slope of my roof. I'm going to have to mount them near the top on the back side and it brings up two considerations..Space and maybe wind damage from the being propped up on the back side. Someone had suggested a batch system using an old electric water heater ( sorry I cant remember who to thank). This suggestion helped a bunch because I was originally looking at a collector that was 20 in x 12 foot long.. they recommend 2 panels http://www.cetsolar.com/fireballsys1.htm I'm not afraid of mounting a large box on the back slope of the roof with the batch system, but I am concerned with mounting a panel back there. the concern is that the wind can catch it and rip it off the mount.

      Also in my back yard I have a HUGE oak tree that  covers it completely so the ground mount is out.

      if anyone has worked with an association and has some advice.. I could use it. I haven't pissed them of yet so I have one thing going for me.

      thanks for all the help

      Mike