Re: [hreg] Upcoming Public Hearing on South Texas Project license extension

  • Alyssa Burgin
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 11, 2013
      I have a speaking engagement in the Coastal Bend that day, and probably cannot physically make it to the hearing itself, but I will certainly be happy to send in comments via email. I am particularly distressed at the timing on this--after all, parts wear out, and the project is old, and we don't really have the full story on the fire, as far as I am concerned.

      But of course, my primary concern remains water use. No matter what goodies the current Ritter proposal in the Lege brings to the state in the form of more evaporative ponds, i.e., reservoirs, it isn't going to do anything to fill up the reservoirs we have, like the Highland Lakes, in perpetuity.

      Alyssa Burgin

      On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 1:04 PM, SusanD <texasblessings@...> wrote:
      The Nuclear Regulatory Commission will be hosting two sessions of public hearings on the proposed Environmental Impact Statement this coming Tuesday, January 15th, with comments being accepted in person at the time or via mail or e-mail into February.  The two nuclear reactors near Bay City went online in 1987 and 1988, respectively, and were originally licensed to run for 40 years.  The application for license extensions, filed by STP in 2010, comes a full 18 years before the curent license expires and would extend plant production into 2047 and 2048.

      It seesm ridiculous to me that the Commission is considering the plant's request so early and especially in light of the ever-higher demand on the water in the Colorado River as well as ground water resources.  STP uses more water than any other entity in our area.  They have pulled as much as 50% of the flow out of the river and are entitled to I believe 1.2 million gallons of groundwater per day while our farmers are being denied water to irrigate food crops. They haev also refused to acknowledge the rise of renewables.

      Very few local people besides myself are willing to speak out against the plant or to express concerns and have officials address them.  If any of you have any interest in following developments or participating in the process, please contact me.

      There was a huge fire at the main transformer that exits Unit 2 earlier this week, crippling the unit and bringing it off line for an undetermined length of time. The back up diesel generators fired up and, thankfully, functioned properly to cool the plant.

      Thank you,
      Susan Dancer

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
          hreg-digest@yahoogroups.com
          hreg-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      --
      Alyssa Burgin
      Executive Director

      16306 Buena Tierra
      San Antonio, Texas 78232
      210-381-4021
    • SusanD
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 14, 2013
        That'd be great Alyssa. Here's a link to the NRC document we're discussing. Its voluminous, but the contact info is on page 4:

        http://pbadupws.nrc.gov/docs/ML1232/ML12324A049.pdf

        Thanks a million,
        Susan
        --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, Alyssa Burgin wrote:

        > I have a speaking engagement in the Coastal Bend that day, and probably
        > cannot physically make it to the hearing itself, but I will certainly be
        > happy to send in comments via email. I am particularly distressed at the
        > timing on this--after all, parts wear out, and the project is old, and we
        > don't really have the full story on the fire, as far as I am concerned.
        >
        > But of course, my primary concern remains water use. No matter what goodies
        > the current Ritter proposal in the Lege brings to the state in the form of
        > more evaporative ponds, i.e., reservoirs, it isn't going to do anything to
        > fill up the reservoirs we have, like the Highland Lakes, in perpetuity.
        >
        > Alyssa Burgin
        >
        > On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 1:04 PM, SusanD wrote:
        >
        > > The Nuclear Regulatory Commission will be hosting two sessions of public
        > > hearings on the proposed Environmental Impact Statement this coming
        > > Tuesday, January 15th, with comments being accepted in person at the time
        > > or via mail or e-mail into February. The two nuclear reactors near Bay
        > > City went online in 1987 and 1988, respectively, and were originally
        > > licensed to run for 40 years. The application for license extensions,
        > > filed by STP in 2010, comes a full 18 years before the curent license
        > > expires and would extend plant production into 2047 and 2048.
        > >
        > > It seesm ridiculous to me that the Commission is considering the plant's
        > > request so early and especially in light of the ever-higher demand on the
        > > water in the Colorado River as well as ground water resources. STP uses
        > > more water than any other entity in our area. They have pulled as much as
        > > 50% of the flow out of the river and are entitled to I believe 1.2 million
        > > gallons of groundwater per day while our farmers are being denied water to
        > > irrigate food crops. They haev also refused to acknowledge the rise of
        > > renewables.
        > >
        > > Very few local people besides myself are willing to speak out against the
        > > plant or to express concerns and have officials address them. If any of
        > > you have any interest in following developments or participating in the
        > > process, please contact me.
        > >
        > > There was a huge fire at the main transformer that exits Unit 2 earlier
        > > this week, crippling the unit and bringing it off line for an undetermined
        > > length of time. The back up diesel generators fired up and, thankfully,
        > > functioned properly to cool the plant.
        > >
        > > Thank you,
        > > Susan Dancer

        > --
        > *Alyssa Burgin
        > Executive Director
        > Texas Drought Project
        >
        > 16306 Buena Tierra
        > San Antonio, Texas 78232
        > 210-381-4021
        > *

      • Alyssa Burgin
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 14, 2013
          Well, that will take a while to read--but, looking through it, I really do want to take a crack at the water aspects. Thank you.

          And yes, I will definitely send comments.

          Appreciate it!

          Alyssa

          --
          Alyssa Burgin
          Executive Director

          16306 Buena Tierra
          San Antonio, Texas 78232
          210-381-4021

        • Edward Cooper
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 14, 2013
            Hello Susan,
            My name is Edward Matthew Cooper, the second.
            I worked in the line trade for 5 years and am concerned that there is not a strong enough national movement toward solar energy. I am interested in getting involved in any efforts to push this agenda. I realize that the oil magnates are raining money on decision makers to divert activity away from renewables. I have recently started back to work and enrolled in college again at the young age of 50 in order to retrain for another field.
            I look forward to becoming involved not in only changing the direction of the electricity production industry in the US (and hopefully the world) but also in reducing our destruction of the ozone layer and our willful creation of the greenhouse effect.
            Thank you for reading my tirade.
            Eddie Cooper
            832 882 6583