Re: [hreg] 4 Solar Energy Crowdfunded Projects Sell Out in 24 hours

  • Tyler Stranger-Thorsen
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 10, 2013
      Kevin,
      I have no comment on the financial aspects of this topic, but I have some thoughts regarding the panels being installed well above the roof.
      Disclaimers: I am not a solar installer!
      Credentials: I specify and monitor the installation of commercial roofing systems.

      I would suspect that the solar array was installed high above the roof level to allow maintenance (including replacement) of the existing roof membrane, as well as to minimally disturb the flow of water to the drains. Without preventive maintenance, a modified bitumen roof system such as the one pictured (and all low slope roof systems for that matter) will fail prematurely. A well maintained and high quality roof of this type can last for over thirty years if it is designed, manufactured, and installed correctly.
      Let's make some assumptions. If the roof in the picture is a ten year old generic commodity system with a (weak) industry standard twenty year warranty, then the building owner would want to be prepared to replace it in ten years. By installing the PV well above the roof, perhaps the panels would not need to be removed during the roof replacement project, thereby saving the cost of removing and re-installing the panels. If the panels have a 30+ year life expectancy, then it is safe to assume the roof will require replacement before the panels.
      (Note that a roof drain is located under the panels in the picture. The drains require some maintenance, and often have to be worked on before the roof membrane has reached the end of its life cycle.)

      Kevin, I know you know vastly more about PV than I ever will, but let me know if you ever need a roof system evaluated before installing a system. I would love to work with you.
      Have a good evening all,
      ty

      Ty Stranger-Thorsen
      LEED AP BD+C, CDT, RRO

      On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 6:14 PM, kevin conlin <kevin@...> wrote:

      BTW, can anyone tell me why you would mount a relatively flat array so high off the roof, as shown in the photos?

      Just asking….

      Thanks and regards,

      Kevin

      Kevin Conlin

      Sun-Stop LLC

      Houston TX

      kconlin@...

      281 202 9629

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 10, 2013
        One last thing.............
        The parapet walls are very high on this building so maybe they just put the panels high to maximize the exposure without shading.

        Ty Stranger-Thorsen
        LEED AP BD+C, CDT, RRO
        281-989-1740

        On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 8:51 PM, Tyler Stranger-Thorsen <tstranger@...> wrote:
[...]

        °°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

[...]

      • kevin conlin
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 10, 2013

          Hi Ty,

          Thanks very much for answering my question, it makes perfect sense and I’m sure the group learned a lot from your explanation

          I appreciate your confidence in me   :-)    but in today’s fast changing world, it’s almost impossible to keep up with all the  aspects of any technology…….

          I’m glad we have this forum to share information, and we appreciate your participation

          Best Regards,

          kevin

          Kevin Conlin

          Heliosolar Design Inc