4 Solar Energy Crowdfunded Projects Sell Out in 24 hours

  • Violeta Archer
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 10, 2013
      Just another confirmation that there IS demand and a market out there. The "crowdfunding" model is a game-changer. . .

      Enjoy,

      Violeta Archer
      HREG secretary

      °°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

      Mosaic’s First 4 Solar Energy Crowdfunding Projects Sell Out In Under 24 Hours

      There’s clearly strong and broad public demand for rooftop solar systems in the US despite fierce, very well-funded opposition in Congress fighting stronger steps to set US energy policy on a firmer, fast track renewable energy path. The latest evidence comes from Oakland, California’s Solar Mosaic, developer of an online crowdfunding platform that enables small individuals to invest in high-quality solar photovoltaic (PV) projects (which debuted yesterday).
      The first four solar power projects listed on Mosaic’s online marketplace, sold out in less than 24 hours. More than 400 investors put up amounts ranging from $25 to $30,000 (the average was nearly $700) for a total investment of more than $313,000, Mosaic announced on its blog.

      Massive Clean Energy Transition in Sight

      More than 700 investors have plowed $1.1 million into Mosaic to finance 12 rooftop solar power arrays in Arizona, California, and New Jersey. This latest batch of four projects were opened to residents of California and New York, as well as accredited investors nationwide.
      “We see a massive transition coming from fossil fuels to clean energy, and we think people should be able to profit from that transition,” Mosaic’s President, Billy Parish, commented. “Mosaic is creating the architecture for mass participation in the clean energy economy.”
      Among those investing in Mosaic’s earliest projects were Roland Regos and Rosana Francescato. “A crucial step toward an authentic democracy is to put clean energy in the hands of the public,” Regos asserted. Mosaic is a true champion of the people.”
      “Mosaic is lowering the barrier for regular people like me — not just rich investors or big companies — to benefit from solar power while providing a good return on investment. I invested in several projects, the process was easy and it only took a few minutes,” Francescato added.
      Mosaic has one more project open to “accredited investors who meet certain financial suitability requirements.” The requirements include investors with income of more than $200,000 in each of the previous two years, $300,000 in joint income with a spouse with “a reasonable expectation of reaching the same income level this year,” or those with a net worth, excluding equity in a primary residence, of more than $1 million either individually or jointly with a spouse.
      “We are thrilled at how the public showed up yesterday,” said Mosaic’s CEO, Dan Rosen. “It’s indicative of a pent-up demand that we are working to meet. People want strong returns and want to know what their money is invested in. Our marketplace allows people to sidestep Wall Street by investing in Main Street.”
      That’s a message that shouldn’t be lost on the American public in a period of high economic and job insecurity and a decades-long trend of worsening income, wealth, and social and political inequality.

      Source: Cleantechnica & Inc

    • Robert Johnston
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 10, 2013

        Oh…boy!  Sorry to be a curmudgeon (again), but one DOES wonder.  There are so many investing red flags in the statements in that press release that I don’t even know where to begin, so won’t analyze it now.  Suffice it to say that if you follow the links you’ll find this is basically a loan, not an equity position, and it is a high risk one at that, with many projects open only to accredited investors.  Why wouldn’t you just invest in publicly traded and SEC regulated solar energy corporations (there are several) rather than speculate in this manner?  I wonder if these “investors” will look back on Billy Parish’s words in a few years and find that instead of people being “able to profit” from that transition, they were fleeced instead?

        Robert

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 10, 2013

          Yikes!  Now we have two curmudgeons in this group?

          I have to agree with Robert on this one, way too many superlatives with very few details

          I’ve seen some very dubious claims made for solar energy ideas on the crowd-sourcing forums,

          and unfortunately the solar industry has always attracted shysters

          I hope we’re wrong on this one……

          BTW, can anyone tell me why you would mount a relatively flat array so high off the roof, as shown in the photos?

          Just asking….

          Thanks and regards,

          Kevin

          Kevin Conlin

          Sun-Stop LLC

          Houston TX

          kconlin@...

          281 202 9629

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 10, 2013

            A few thoughts to add to this debate.  One, if the investor does his/her due diligence then they can save on the transaction costs of a SEC deal. That is, more of the cash raised actually goes to the project and not the bankers, lawyers and AIG (for insuring the transaction). Two, the investor may live up the street from the project and is actually better able to keep an eye on how and where money is being spent.  The idea of investing locally is part of the appeal. Three, the mortgaged backed securities implosion and Bernie Madoff are only the most recent examples that Wall Street is not always the safest place to put your retirement funds. All investments have their risks.
            Jim

            On Jan 10, 2013, at 1:25 PM, "Robert Johnston" <junk1@...> wrote:

[...]

          • Tyler Stranger-Thorsen
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 10, 2013
              Kevin,
              I have no comment on the financial aspects of this topic, but I have some thoughts regarding the panels being installed well above the roof.
              Disclaimers: I am not a solar installer!
              Credentials: I specify and monitor the installation of commercial roofing systems.

              I would suspect that the solar array was installed high above the roof level to allow maintenance (including replacement) of the existing roof membrane, as well as to minimally disturb the flow of water to the drains. Without preventive maintenance, a modified bitumen roof system such as the one pictured (and all low slope roof systems for that matter) will fail prematurely. A well maintained and high quality roof of this type can last for over thirty years if it is designed, manufactured, and installed correctly.
              Let's make some assumptions. If the roof in the picture is a ten year old generic commodity system with a (weak) industry standard twenty year warranty, then the building owner would want to be prepared to replace it in ten years. By installing the PV well above the roof, perhaps the panels would not need to be removed during the roof replacement project, thereby saving the cost of removing and re-installing the panels. If the panels have a 30+ year life expectancy, then it is safe to assume the roof will require replacement before the panels.
              (Note that a roof drain is located under the panels in the picture. The drains require some maintenance, and often have to be worked on before the roof membrane has reached the end of its life cycle.)

              Kevin, I know you know vastly more about PV than I ever will, but let me know if you ever need a roof system evaluated before installing a system. I would love to work with you.
              Have a good evening all,
              ty

              Ty Stranger-Thorsen
              LEED AP BD+C, CDT, RRO

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 10, 2013
                One last thing.............
                The parapet walls are very high on this building so maybe they just put the panels high to maximize the exposure without shading.

                Ty Stranger-Thorsen
                LEED AP BD+C, CDT, RRO
                281-989-1740

                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 10, 2013

                  Hi Ty,

                  Thanks very much for answering my question, it makes perfect sense and I’m sure the group learned a lot from your explanation

                  I appreciate your confidence in me   :-)    but in today’s fast changing world, it’s almost impossible to keep up with all the  aspects of any technology…….

                  I’m glad we have this forum to share information, and we appreciate your participation

                  Best Regards,

                  kevin

                  Kevin Conlin

                  Heliosolar Design Inc