Daily Kos: San Francisco: Zero Waste by 2020

  • Lynden Foley
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 5, 2012
      http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/11/05/1156263/-San-Francisco-Zero-Waste-by-2020

      This is an admiral goal. What is the City of Houston's goal?
    • Jay Ring
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 6, 2012
        --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, Lynden Foley <lynden.foley@...> wrote:

        > http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/11/05/1156263/-San-Francisco-Zero-Waste-by-2020
        >
        > This is an admiral goal. What is the City of Houston's goal?

        Houston's goal is "one bin for all" and it was selected as one of 20 finalists for Bloomberg Philanthropies 's "Mayors Challenge"

        http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2012/11/05/houston-a-finalist-in-bloomberg.html

        Houston's goal is to get to "single stream" recycling via a new idea: No seperate recycling bin. Just one trash bin, with everything in it being recycled, no separation of any kind.

        I am -very- skeptical about the technical feasibility actually getting it all recycled - ie, no waste.

        However, it is brilliant. While we won't be able to recycle all of it, it will insure that we recycle 100% of what we are capable of recycling. That's a huge improvement over where we are now.

        This is exactly the sort of thing that will get us towards a zero waste goal. It works because it will actually be easier to recycle than it would be not to.

        It's flipping the incentives in all the right ways. Good luck to them.